An older project revisited

Almost 3 years ago I was commissioned to design an build a display cabinet to hold 2 model airplanes plus brochures and give away items at conventions and meetings. This cabinet was built for Volga Dnepr Airlines. This company moves large and heavy items all over the world including military tanks and helicopters. In February my neighbor that commissioned me to build that booth was on TV in California when the local news agency covered the loading of a piece of oil refinery equipment. The piece was well in excess of 100' long and was airlifted from California to the Middle East.

This past Thursday night was the company's 25th anniversary and I got to see the cabinets for the first time in almost 3 years. Anyway my display cabinet has been set up to display the model airplanes all over the world in excess of 30 times. I'll say the display looked better than I expected considering complete disassemble and reassembly that many times.

The larger model airplane has a wing span of 60" and is approximately that long also.

Leon

I often revisit projects I've given to friends a relatives and notice they don't always seem to appreciate them as much as I do/did or as much as V.D. Airlines appreciates your project. That was a neat project.

I revisited the coat rack at the camp, this weekend, and finished installing the coat hooks.

Last week, I did some fine sanding of the walnut table top, to get rid of dust nibs. Will use rottenstone next, then wax, sometime this week. I still haven't had help, come by, to move the table into the house. Everyone's been busy.

The cedar table's build/work is progressing slowly. Been filling defects with wood strips and red colored epoxy, lately.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

This one was for a large business and apparently I was a last resort contact to get what they wanted. I was amazed that they could not fond some one else to do the work. But then again I was under a relative short deadline. It was an enjoyable job but a load of plastic laminate on all sides in and out.

IMHO you might be over doing it. ;~) I would get rid of the nibs with a piece of paper wrapped around a small block of wood and apply the wax with 0000 steel wool for a satin finish.

Be sure to show us pics when it is in its final spot. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I'm familiar with that paper wrap technique and it didn't completely get ri d of all the nibs. Seems there was more than dust on the surface and 2000 grit sand paper (*crinoline backing on the wood block) did the trick, then I lightly sanded with felt backing on the wood block. I now need finer g rit, for further polishing, before using the rotten stone.

*Crinoline is a somewhat stiff "sheet good", sort of like compressed felt, comes in rolls, that is used for making skirts for furniture. It holds th e skirts firm and straight, as they drape down, on the furniture. It's abo ut 1/16" thick and is perfect for covering your wood block, before wrapping your newspaper or sand paper. It doesn't allow for a sharp edge, of the wood block, to possibly gouge the finish work, if the wood block is not per fectly flat, for whatever reason.

There have been times when I use just a crinoline wrapped block to "burnish " a finish, rather than using newsprint, burlap, denim or a ScotchBrite pad .

If you have skirts on any of your furniture, you can feel the thin stiffeni ng crinoline sheet inside the skirt's upholstery.

I might suspect your wife may have had reason to use crinoline for some of her sewing appications, at times.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Got'cha

She mostly does small crafts and quilts of all sizes. She does use that plastic fiber reinforced shipping strap material that is used to hold card board boxes together during shipping.

Reply to
Leon

WOW, That was an impressive load to carry. Saw your cabinet for the carrier, did you do the planes as well?

Very impressive jewelry cabinets you had pictures of, yours?

Reply to
OFWW

No, the airplanes were built by a pro model airplane builder. Strangely enough they are not terribly heavy, 20~25 lbs for the big one. They both are resting on 8mm bolts threaded into the bottom of fuselage.

Yes, I built both several years ago, one for my wife and another at the same time for a customer/neighbor.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you BTW.

Reply to