Ginders

I bought a Rikon grinder last year at Woodcraft. I think $89.

Well the stones suck. Way out of round, wobble. The center is not standard 1" ,it's only 7/8 and filled with something rather than using spacers. Using the T bar diamond has not properly dressed them.

I picked up a diamond point from Enco. This too did not work, until I made a holder, which limits the travel. Now, this thing is smooth and true. While it still wobbles, and will cause me to buy new stones soon, I can say that the stones are cutting nicely. I might go to the CBN wheels once course and one fine. Since those really run true.

Reply to
woodchucker

woodchucker wrote in news:bMidnf7rpIvKv4TLnZ2dnUU7-f- snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

For some reason, call it a guess or intuition, I think you should check the shafts to make sure they run true.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The shafts are perfect. I have a 1/10,000 indicator. and they are true. Otherwise the grinder would have been returned.

They sent me one new wheel last year, but that was crap too. So it's a low end POC.

The grinder is nothing special. The rests are useless as they attach to light gauge steel. I have my own rests and might be getting the Oneways for my gouges. Or making a better set.

Reply to
woodchucker

In article , woodchucker wrote: I might go to the CBN wheels once course and one fine. Since

The best price on cbn wheels is at woodturnerswonders.com a pair of 8x

1.5 wheels is $250. Other places want around $200 each. Another advantage to cbn wheels, is that you can remove the guards on your grinder, since steel wheels don't explode. Thus using 1.5" wide wheels instead of 1" wide wheels, The only disadvantage, is that you can't grind any non hardened steel. No bolts, no angle iron, etc.
Reply to
Dan Kozar

Thanks.

Reply to
woodchucker

True, their main use is for sharpening High Speed Steel, and powdered metal turning tools. They cut faster and cooler, than stone wheels. And since they never need truing, you can mark the wolverine, or other jigs for different tools and be able to reset to those markings for repeated sharpening. When you true stone wheels a couple of times, it decreases the diameter of the wheel forcing you to change the setting of your jig, so that you don't change the grind angle on your tools.

Reply to
Dan Kozar

I think these wheels are aluminum with cbn applied.

Reply to
swalker

The 4 in 1 wheels are plated aluminum, while the regular wheels are plated steel.

Reply to
Dan Kozar

Maybe I am confused. The web page says this.. " These are highly machined 6061 aluminum wheels that are electroplated with nickel alloy."

Reply to
swalker

Under CBN Wheel 8-inch, 80 grit, 5/8" arbor on the web page it says As long as the wheels are properly used as intended this should not cause a problem as they are machined from one solid piece of steel. which is what I have, but at least some of the others do say they are 6061 aluminum.

Reply to
Dan Kozar

Mine (D-way original) are solid steel

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Good catch.

How much do these things weigh?

Reply to
swalker

wobbly wheels will cause bearing failure.

If they had HF quality wheels, I'd suspect the bearings to fail early unless changed out.

Reply to
OFWW