[SOLVED] Millers Falls Buck Rogers drill paint match?

Millers Falls Buck Rogers drill paint match? open original image

I would like to paint in the letters on this drill. Can anyone suggest the appropriate paint, technique and color to use to get as close as possible to the original.?

Any other info on these tools?

Much appreciated,

David

Reply to
Favid

I would suggest googling pictures of the item.

Reply to
Leon

?

He *posted* a picture of the item. Well, a link to one, anyway.

How would googling more pictures help him?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well he was asking the color paint.

Reply to
Leon

personally, i'd never click on a homemoaners hub link. The OP probalby wants the pantone number.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yes he was. Are you assuming that the color he has now is not the original? I guess that's possible.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well that's an easy one. ;-)

Pantone/Customer service (866) 726-8663

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Why else would he ask, if he can see the color now?

FWIW if he paints over existing paint, correct color or not, it would detract from it's value, if that is the issue.

I would imagine that he does not believe that the color on the drill that he linked to he pictured is correct.

So google would possibly give many pictures of the original colors.

Reply to
Leon

Seems the original color is red. Page down a bit on this link, to the Buck Rogers drill.

Probably an artist's paint would work just fine... use a small artist's brush. There appear to be indentions where the paint is. The indentions appear to be deep enough that the paint won't wear off. You might need to wipe the existing painted areas with acetone, to make sure your new paint adheres well. Bring your drill to the store to match the proper/best red color to the drill handle.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Addendum, from the link. The frames of the drills are cast aluminum with a baked enamel finish, the handles an opaque red plastic.

Reply to
Sonny

Seems to be some discrepancy here or there were differences within the same model line.

Your link shows a 104 with red letters, other links show a 104 with black letters. Both boxes (your link and mine) say 104:

Google images show both colors.

Some of the episodes of How It's Made show items with "sub-surface lettering" being painted by simply painting the entire surface and then just wiping the excess paint off. Granted, how well that works depends on the depth of the area where you want the paint to stay. Too deep and it might 'puddle" where the bottom meets the sides of the indentation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

He can see *a* color but he might not know *the* color it is. I see black. According to some references, there are 105 shades of black. Obviously, many of these can be thrown out immediately, but if he's going for a full restore, the exact black would be nice.

As Scott mentioned, the Pantone number or the value from some other color matching system.

Agreed, and he did say "to get as close as possible" so maybe "black" is good enough. ;-)

True, but Google appears to show both black and red. If black is a valid original color, then we are back to what I imagine he asking: "Which black?"

We'll never really know unless he comes back and tells us.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Just wanted to put this is a separate post since it's related, but maybe not apropos in this specific situation.

Have you ever heard of the "Pixie Color Picker" utility? I use it for editing images, like if I want to hide something or add a shape or text that is the exact color as something already on the screen. Once open, it shows a little floating box that tells you what color the very point of your mouse cursor is hovering over, at the pixel level.

You can then use those values to create a custom fill/font color for a line, shape or text that exactly matches the color you want.

No ads, no registration, no flashy stuff. Just that little box that you can position wherever you want on your monitor.

In a case like this, you could hover over the letters in the picture of the drill and grab the value of the "black". However, as you'll see, the slightest movement of the mouse will change the values ever so slightly. Might be close enough for the OP.

In any case it's a cool little utility to keep on your system.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Miller's Falls No. 2 and No. 1/3/5 Type Studies:

Scott Lurndal

Thank you all, very much, for your kind and thoughtful replies. I would like to go with a red for the lettering to match the color of the plastic handle. Much appreciated, David

Reply to
Favid

Thanks for that very detailed analysis of various Miller's Falls drills but what are you trying to point out?

I don't see the Buck Rogers/104 drill on either of those pages.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well it turns out that he chose red to match the handle vs. restoring to the color in the link.

Reply to
Leon

So you've changed the requirement from "as close as possible to the original" to "match the color of the plastic handle". Interesting.

What I suggest is that you take your drill to any decent paint store (preferably not the paint counter at a home center) and have them use their color matching machine to find the formula for an exact match of the handle color.

They will tell you what kind of paint to use and will mix it for you. You can then test it over the black paint already on the drill, and when it doesn't match - because of the black paint already on the drill - you can ask them to try a different formula.

Maybe priming the black will help, maybe removing it, then priming the metal would be better. Obviously, with each layer you add, the less depth the letters will have.

I hope you have a steady hand. I know that I couldn't paint those letters. I'm getting frustrated with the mess I'd make just by thinking about it. ;-)

Good luck. Please post a picture of the finished project.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Fees for change orders were built into our contract, weren't they? I'm going to call Legal and make sure. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's likely that the same color red was used on all their drills.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal