Match the old paint

My brother and I jointly own a rental that has to be repainted.

1 15X15X9 room and 6X15X9 hall is light ivory. Another15X15X9 room is appears to be a very light green. We have no need to change these colors.

My brother proposes to get a can of light colored paint, an off white or beige I think. I proposed electronically matching all the paints where we have do not desire to change the color.

Which of us is right?

My experience and theory says that you save time with the closest possible match since you can go faster without worrying as much about coverage.

His experience says that you will get sufficient coverage with any light paint.

Reply to
tom

Sounds like you're making this much more complicated than it needs to be.

Neither of those colors sound like they'll be hard to cover, assuming you spend the correct amount of money and buy top of the line paint from a specialty store. Two amazing brands to look for are Martin-Senour and Devoe.

As far as electronically matching the color, how did you propose to do that? Scrape off a chunk of wall and take it to the paint store?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

white is a neutral color and will match any tenants furnishing. so white is a better choice

Reply to
hallerb

Sounds like you just want to do a quick and cheap job in either case. Green over green will probably work best as the little misses won't show as much as with a different color. If you are going to do a quality professional job, it does not matter because a little time and care you can easily overcoat any other color.

If you can take a small sample, they probably have a similar color on one of the chips on display.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Better yet, check out the mis-tints at your local big box stores. There are usually some off-whites available for $5/gal. We've painted two garages and a couple utility rooms using this money saving tactic. If the colour isn't important, then $5/gal is the right solution.

And no, you don't need to exactly match the existing paint.

-jim seattlecurlerATcomcast.net

Reply to
Jim Sullivan

"Jim Sullivan" wrote in news:LqudnX19AoyJZ3jbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I painted the entire interior of a repo house I redid with those mis- tints. Just picked neutral colors. Leftovers from one can went into a different can of similar mis-tint to make a slightly different tint even. Then leftover from that one went into another and so on. Last room got the works :-)

Sound cheesey? Well I paid $5/gal and the the new owner got like $25/gal Behr paint on the entire interior.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Here's another angle for you to consider -

Pick a neutral off white that you and your brother can agree on, from a major paint manufacturer. Don't buy the cheapest paint you can find, and a satin or eg-shel finish will hold up better than most flats. Paint the entire unit this color, and keep the left over paint for touch up the next time the unit goes vacant. I have been using the same paint for the last 6 years on all the rentals that I own or manage. We have probably purchased 2-300 gallons of this paint over the years.

I also buy a fair amount of mis-tint paint, but I try not to use it on rentals, rather I use it for houses I plan to re-sell. They are also good for basements and exteriors.

I usually pay around $1.25 per gallon of mis-tint paint for Sherwin Williams products. I got 20 gallons for $25 today including 4 gallons of Duration, 3 gallons of SuperPaint Exterior, and 5 gallons of white and off white interior paint in the lot. Of course, when you buy in bulk, you get a mixed lot. I also got a "lipstick" red and several gallons of interior wiping stain.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

If the colors are close in shade but differ in color, then poor coverage will allow the old color to show through more. If they are both very pale colors but contrast, one warm and one cool, then the base color would be more likely to show. I'm with you - take a sample if you can and match the color as closely as possible.

Reply to
Norminn

In one of my rentals I wanted to use the same color, so I took a razor knife and cut a small 1" square (just the paper) off the wall behind the door and took it down to have it matched. Then I skimmed the spot behind the door that I had removed with drywall mud. This was easy to do and using the same color makes it easier to repaint. After all "it's only a rental". Or you can go through your shelf of paint in the basement and mix it all together, that might look nice too.

Good Luck,

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek