Match indoor paint color

Need to paint my LR/DR walls. A certain beautiful green from a picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically matches the color of the sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Have used the Analyzer at both Lowes and H.D. with good results. Try to take a "chip sample" about 1"x1" and they should do a good job. Bear in mind that a picture mat will have been reproduced numerous times and a perfect match will be a "guess and by -golly" situation !!

HTH

Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

Not only Borgs, but WALMART has 'em in their superstores that sell paint.

They're everywhere.

Reply to
HeyBub

Virtually everyone has experience with the "gadget." These "gadgets" can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmar Superstores, Ace, Sherwin-Williams, and just about anywhere paint is sold.

The device will concoct a paint that is extremely close, if not perfect, to the sample. Bear in mind that texture of the surface, sheen (gloss vs. flat), undercoat*, and lighting can create a slight perception of difference from your target color.

Buy a quart of quality tinted paint and try it out.

------------

  • If you're going to apply a primer, get it tinted the same color.
Reply to
HeyBub

Ace Hardware does it for me. WW

Reply to
WW

Matched some paint to place mats a few years ago. Worked great.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

nabe BM Did you mean "nearby" and "bricks & mortar"? If yoiur are going to pretend to tweet, at least use the correct abbreviations.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Neighborhood and Benjamin Moore.

To the OP, if your paint store doesn't have a color analyzer, it's not a paint store. I'm surprised that BM lets them sell their paint if they're that amateurish.

RicodJour

Most NG members understand "nabe" as "neighborhood". Also commonly understood is BM for Benjamin Moore.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

been there at least 60 years. Not "amateurish"; very experienced. I was h= oping they >>would have the analyzer so I could buy my LR/DR paint from the= m like I've been doing since the Pleistocene. Sometimes an experienced eye= ball can do almost >>as well as an electronic one -- at least I hope!

re anything they carry that is up to BM standards? Lowe's is not close to = me. Also, >>don't think I'd need tinted primer: This is light-medium green= over white. I should think a good quality paint would do it one-coat.

lyzer doesn't get confused by the glass. (Damn shame; I paid a bundle at a= good >>picture store for the framing..)

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Stay far away from Walmart paint, more water than paint. Just did 3 rooms with the crap, tan over cream took 2 coats. If they push the $11 flat ceiling paint just chuckle and leave. In this case white really doesn't cover white!

They used to carry Dutch Boy witch was decent paint, now they carry a watered down version of Glidden.

The wife brought the junk home and pouted until I consented to used it.

Never again, John

Reply to
John

This is top quality and a bit spendy but you will love the results, one coat is way less work (URL probably will wrap):

John

Reply to
John

Tx, John. Appreciate the referral. There's no dealership near me, which does make me wonder a little. Also, their Web site emphasizes trim, while I am looking for walls. However, every bit of info helps. I will call them to see if they use the Analyzer.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Go to Sherwin Williams. They will do the analysis and then hand mix to get about as perfect a match as possible. Never had much luck with analysis alone, no matter where I went.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Another option (if you have a color printer).

Print out the entire Pantone Reference chart. Find the color on the chart that matches your target.

Take the 1" square from the Pantone chart to the paint matcher.

The printing works best on a portrait (high resolution) printer with glossy paper.

Reply to
HeyBub

I used it for an accent wall, about 170 sq' in one coat. A light silver-blue color in eggshell over a light peach satin. It took less than a 1/2 gallon - one coat on textured plaster, just a few dots here and there (due to cheapo roller no doubt) to touch up. By the way, a flashlight works well to find the little suckers ... something I should have figured out in my 64 years but didn't ... learned just recently :)

I highly recommend Pittsburgh paints but I don't think they have their own stores scattered about the country. I live in the Pittsburgh area so its not a problem for me. If you can find it, its about $45 ~ a gallon and worth every penny, roller or brush it spreads like a dream, covers, and doesn't run cause it dries quickly. Look in strictly paint stores for someone that carries it - big-box is probably a non-starter.

John

Reply to
John

ose, but at least one is do-able.

t for an "=E4cccent wall".

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

close, but at least one is do-able.

for an "äcccent wall".

As I said its wall paint. Very good wall paint. It may be a good trim paint if eggshell in a color is what you want for trim although it may not wear well for trim paint as it is intended for walls where abrasion generally isn't a problem.

Not sure what your question is?

John

Reply to
John

Yeah, the warning is meant to caution you from going to the art supply store and buying a tube of Pantone #656 oil paint and expecting it to match.

In my suggestion, you don't CARE whether the color swatches match the official Pantone color scheme. You're just looking for a swatch that a) matches your target (irrespective of the Pantone number, and b) You can take to the paint store to duplicate.

Reply to
HeyBub

Just about ANY place that sells paint (including Wally World) has a gadget that will match your paint sample.

The color match is usually "spot on." The problem is finding the best match for the texture. Typically, most paints only come in three textures: flat, semi, and full gloss. If you are trying to match well worn paint the textures will not quite match.

But it looks worse to you than it does to the average person just walking by.

Reply to
John Gilmer