Top window falls automatically

Hi - i have a problem with my double hung windows. When ever i "unlock" the window, the top window slides down automatically. Ideally i guess one pulls down on the top window for it to slide down. But this one just comes sliding down automatically as soon as i unlock it.

Could you please tell me what is causing this to happen. I also like to fix things myself - is this something i can do by myself or do i need to call window-repair for it?

Thanks for any advise...

Reply to
imacg5user

Counterbalance is not working. Could be weights and pulleys, could be the spring things on the sides. Determine what type you have first, then either repair the cords or replace the parts. Could be some newer version too, but you didn't give much to go on.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks. It's a double-hung window - installed 5 years ago. I cannot seem to find the maker - but it looks like the anderson double-hung 200 series. I do not see any "pulley/weight" system. The top window falls on its own as soon as it is unlocked - it is supposed to slide down only upon pulling it down. I do not actually see any mechanical system after it slides down (or after pulling down on the top window). Not sure how much more details to provide...

Reply to
rbalasub

There seems to be a recall on the latch for that series:

Dan Espen

Reply to
William Brown

The 200 is a "tilt out for cleaning" window. You are not going to find a cord.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Learn something new everyday. I thought the 400 was the tilt and the 200 the narrowline???

Reply to
calhoun

Here is another link to the notice of problems with the series 200:

They call the window:

Andersen® 200 Series Tilt-Wash Double-Hung Window

There are even pictures. No cord.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I have the same irritating problem with mine. Open the bottom window and the top window falls down open also.

Reply to
Mike