mismeasured Marvin window replacements?

I ordered an expensive stack of double hung tilt-pack Marvin windows to replace my leaky aging windows. These were measured by the local supplier and one size was found to fit most of the windows on my first floor.

This weekend I tried installing the windows and found that they appeared to be slightly too large - both the vinyl jamb liner was too long for the frame and the top and bottom sash pairs were made too big.

I only did one room and was able to get around the jamb liner being too large by carving out a little of the top of the window frame in an invisible area but the windows themselves are still slightly too large and the locking mechanisms don't line up.

Anyone had this problem and know what my options are for going back to the supplier? It seems the vinyl jamb liner and top sash could be cut to fix the problem but I don't think I should have to do it.

Reply to
P. Thompson

Why come here first? Should have contacted the supplier when you first noticed the problem and before you even finished the installation of the first one. If they did the measurements, the ball was in their court until you modified something and added to the problem of them now having multiple non-new units. Now, it's still an issue they should resolve but it undoubtedly will be more trouble than it would have been for at least the ones you have unpackaged.

Reply to
dpb

Umm, because all this happened yesterday afternoon and they're not open till Monday and I'd like to call with some ideas of what to ask for.

It was my first effort at putting in windows and I was not convinced that there was a problem with anything other than the person doing the installation until after I had one room done. In retrospect, your idea of stopping early would have been better, but that's water under the bridge now. I'm not convinced that the installed windows need to be returned, just remilled on one edge to be about .25" smaller.

I do have nine more windows for four more rooms that are not installed.

Reply to
P. Thompson

I realize that but still going to the supplier is a first step...

When you had doubts was the time to just stop, take a breath, and get help from the vendor/supplier...

The problem is that vinyl windows aren't like wood where it is feasible to mill them. You didn't say whether they're solid vinyl, clad, whatever. Even if they were solid, that doesn't mean the interior is nice and solid and shiny if cut and, in fact, it probably wouldn't be.

It is probably easier to modify the opening than to modify the windows satisfactorily if I had to guess....either way, you need the supplier to assess the situation. I was simply pointing out if these were a standard stock opening size, then returning them unopened would be no major hassle. If they were made specifically made to fit, then either the measurements were not correct or your installation didn't follow what was intended by whoever it was that did the measuring. Again, either way, you need them involved.

Some questions usenet can answer, some situations can provide some alternate choices/suggestions of what to do--I think this isn't one (at least yet--if you get stonewalled and told it's not their problem or something similar, then repost and the legal pundits will help no end :) ).

W/ a Marvin distributor, I wouldn't expect it but as noted, you may not get as much satisfaction on the 2nd-thru-nth you installed as the first and the uninstalled ones simply owing to the fact they _may_ (and I repeat the "may") have a larger out-of-pocket cost for having had them installed than they otherwise would have had. Again, that is conjecture as there simply isn't enough information on the details of the installation or the windows to tell what solution(s) are practical, if any, other than replacing the windows.

Reply to
dpb

I had not specified this indeed: the vinyl is limited to the jamb liner which seems capable of being cut, the windows themselves are wood and seem capable of being milled.

They were made specifically to fit. The first window I suspected my installation, the second the measuring. The third I just wanted the damn room finished. Followed their instructions to the letter; there just seemed to be no way for the jamb liner to fit as in the instruction sheet without some modification to the window or jamb liner.

Reply to
P. Thompson