MDF quality

I am about to start a major (for me, anyways) project that will use MDF for a shop assembly table.

The MDF is used for the sides and top. I can get MDF from the local big box stores (and one regional store, which I'd prefer) OR the lumber dealer that caters to the cabinet trade.

Is there big differences in the MDF sold by Lowes, HD and a cabinet supply shop? 3/4 is what I need.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

Examine the boards. Measure the boards. Often the Big Box stores carry Metric plywood and other fab wood. From Chile.

Making slots requires a metric saw blade. CHECK THICKNESS! not by label, but by gauge. If metric is all you find, prepare for metric cuts.

Mart> I am about to start a major (for me, anyways) project

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

So far all the 1/2" and 3/4" MDF I've bought at Lowe's or Home Depot has been pretty much spot-on in stated thickness, but watch out for the 1/4"! I bought some of that a year or so ago expecting it to be a full 1/4" in thickness and it was "plywood" thickness instead (7/32")! Bring your dial caliper with you just in case. I hope they don't start pulling that shit on the 1/2" and 3/4" sizes...

If you're asking about the _quality_ of the MDF, I think it's pretty much all the same. The stuff I've seen at the local hardwood supply houses doesn't appear to be any better or worse in quality than what you find at the Borg.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Huh? Maybe you mean router bit?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

------------------------------------ If the lumber yard is within 10%-12%, why not support them?

If not, ask how close they can get.

These days yaw never know.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My local yard is consistently cheaper then the big-box store, and usually higher quality

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Not all mdf's are created equal ... manufacturers of the better quality mdf's are very specific as what products it is made from, as well as the quality and number of refining steps.

There can be a big difference in consistency (thickness,etc) and machinability, particularly with regard to the degree the product will take a crisp profile, important for tasks like the manufacture of interior doors.

Also some mdf's, like "Medex", are better for exterior or damp locations.

It you want a good cabinet quality mdf, see if you can find a local source for "Trupan", which also comes in grades that are as much as 30 to 80% lighter than the stuff you buy at the Borgs.

Many cabinet shops use "Plum Creek Super-Refined MDF 2" which machines and paints well.

Reply to
Swingman

Strangly enough I am beginning to see 1/4" thick 1/4" plywood again.....

Reply to
Leon

And I keep having to buy smaller and smaller router bits. Making flat panel doors yesterday and had to go to Rockler to buy a yet smaller router bit for 1/4" plywood that is barely 7/32" thick ... the 15/64 is the smallest they had and the dado is still too big for the stock.

Pisser ....

Reply to
Swingman

--------------------------------- Sounds like table saw and two passes time to me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Swingman" wrote

------------------------------- SFWIW, Sierra Pine, an MDF producer here in California as well as one of my customers, would certainly appreciate the business.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I understand your problem. I use a 5.5mm Cutter & Spacer on my sticking/coping for plywood panels, which is about 0.2" (0.21653543") and sometimes my hardwood veneer plywood still isn't tight, but it's better. I don't need spaceballs though.

I don't know what is available for router type bits, as I don't have any router-type door sets. If the router sets are stacked, maybe a good sharpening company could cut down some 1/4" to a better size for you.

Have a good day, woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff

Except that they're loose tenon and the router makes it much easier to make a stopped cut without a bunch of cleanup.

What you make on the banana's, you lose on the oranges ...

Reply to
Swingman

Yup, that was one of the reasons I switched to stub tennons and quit routing the slot. I do have a 7/32" bit if you want to use it. You realize 15/64 is larger than 7/32. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Yep. Or Home Despot--they've got 7/32 bits purpose made for this.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I wonder if they were a supplier to the new school in L.A.. Yeah it is nation wide news...

Reply to
Leon

LOL. That's a new one to me. Going in my brain, through.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Just for MY information, have you ever heard the term, Bossy Butt? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I know one ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

Yep, but not too early ... I think I finally snapped to that in a little college math course along the way ... something called Differential Equations, or somesuch? lol

Our sterling mathematics ability is why you and I get out butts whipped in Dominoes, but still have to count up the girl's points for them.

go figure ...

Reply to
Swingman