Looking to exchange some email or postings with Barry Burke regarding dust collection on miter saw

I apologize to this group for doing a posting for an individual but I don't have an email for him. I want to make a dust collector for my SCMS based on his design:

I have some questions. Barry, if you are lurking out there could you possibly send me email or we can exchange questions and answers in the newsgroup. It doesn't make any difference to me.

Sorry to bother the rest of you .

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Ask and you shall receive. Go ahead and ask here, or hit me @ balsapilot @ yahoo dot com for direct contact.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Hi Barry,

Thanks for replying. I will ask here so that others who may be dealing with dust collection on a miter saw might benefit from your comments.

I am using my miter saw right now to finish up a project with a bunch of miters but I plan to take the time to make a dust collector similar to the one on your website once I complete my current project. To prevent my workshop from being inundated with too much fine dust I hung up some plastic tarps at the back of my miter saw to try to get most of the dust to drop straight down. When doing 45 degree cuts I was AMAZED at how far to the side the dust shot out. I looked at your pictures and I assume you solved that as you said 99% of the dust was collected in your setup. So here is my question - what is the key in getting that dust that shoots out to the side to be caught rather than escape beyond the edges of the hood you made? It looks like yours is as wide but no wider than the platform for your miter saw.

I guess a second question is with all the open face of the hood, does your

4" dust collection opening actually draw any dust into it or do you just end up sweeping it into the hole with a brush? Particularly when the saw is swung over to make a 45 degree cut I would think the dust would just collect in the corner of the hood. This really isn't a major question - if I have to sweep the dust I will do so happily as long as it isn't floating all over my workshop WITHOUT the hood.

Thanks.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

The saw sits slightly back inside the enclosure. The pipe that normally attaches to the dust bag on my saw is movable. I turn the pipe to face the general direction of the DC opening. Some dust ends up sitting on the floor of the enclosure, sloping the floor towards the DC pipe would help this, but it doesn't bother me enough to change things. The air draw of the DC prevents dust from moving out of the enclosure.

See above. Keep in mind, my hood is attached to a Jet DC1100 with a cannister filter by only a few feet of pipe. There is plenty of air movement into the hood.

I can take more photos if there is anything you need to see.

My hood works well, but could use some minor improvements and cosmetic work. I'm planning on moving my saw and lumber rack, so I'll probably make some minor changes. Overall, I'm still happy with it after about

4-5 years of use.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Thanks Barry. No more pictures needed. I am curious about the three dimensions of your hood. Since your hood works well I want to keep the same proportions with my Bosch SCMS.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

The dimensions are the minimum required to clear the rear pipes at full miter and slide (Check BOTH ways! DAMHIKT), the width of the saw, and my hand on the handle when the saw is all the way up.

I worked out a cardboard and duct tape model to plan the dimensions. The saw's fence is about 1/2" outside the hood.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Thanks Barry