Question about Dust Collection with a Delta Contractor Saw

I have an 8 year old Delta contractor saw that I have conected to my delta DC. I used a 14" generic TS adapter and boxed it in to fit the delta. I also put a couple ramps in to assist in the dust movement. The question is how in the h**l do I block the back of the saw off to contain all the dust. I made a cover that fit around all the motor mounts and the belt but now I can't tilt my blade.

Anybody figure out a better way to do it?

Nitromaster

Reply to
Neil Larson

FWIW, sometime ago ,I decided to 'improve' the efficiency of the dust collection from my Unisaw. I plugged some holes with duct tape and others, like the tilt crank, I covered the slot(s) with some of that thin magnetic sheeting. It was apparent when I was cutting my next piece of wood the 'new-and-improved' system was NOT working as well as the old. If would appear that you need a large "wash" of air to clear the dust and I was allowing only a small area for air to enter my system... Off came the sheeting and plugs. You might try some of that magnetic sheeting with your saw. YMMV

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

I have a 5 year old Delta contractors saw. I have a shop built hopper on the bottom where I connect my dust collector, 4" opening. Nothing else is sealed, covered, what ever, and I am satisfied with the dust collection from the saw. If the dust gets under the table, the collector gets it. I can watch dust get sucked through the slot in the blade insert. The only improvement would be an over arm guard with a dust hood/blade guard, but I am not ready to go there yet. I have the Horrible Freight, $159 on sale, dust collector. I do not believe you will benefit closing up the back of the saw unless you have a very small, (CFM), dust collector. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Rare earth magnets. Made the back from 1/4 plywood and it comes off in seconds.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Highspeed

"Neil Larson" wrote in news:rvwNd.1205$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

I use 1/4" hardboard with cutouts for the belt, etc. It's secured with magnets. When I need to tilt the blade, I have to remove the panel. Fortunately the majority of my cuts are not with the blade tilted.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Seems to me that FWW published an article some while back about how to make a back for this very saw. Was rather involved with lots of cutouts in some 1/4" plywood if I recall. It did allow for tilting the arbor. Still had lots of holes but I guess it did enough of a good job that FWW decided to write it up. Wish I could remember the year but then there are lots of things I wish for in my dotage. Anyone with a library care to enlighten us on the issue?

Nate Perk> "Neil Larson" wrote in

Reply to
DIYGUY

DIYGUY wrote in news:raUNd.380$I3.68 @bignews4.bellsouth.net:

A search of the online index makes me wonder if it's the Nov/Dec issue of

2000 ... "Dust Proof Your Contractor's Saw" by Dick McDonough?

I'd like to build one of those. I guess it's time for a trip to the library.

Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

That's one. Depending on the age of your saw, might not work properly. Sort of a combination of the new Delta sloped ramp and a loose plywood cutout. Only one cutout, though, so it may not be the one the DIYGUY recalls.

Reply to
George