Dust collection at the table saw blade guard

I have recently purchased a Jet 650CK dust collector and have hooked it up to my table saw. I have attached the dust collector to the 2 1/2" dust collection port and with a splitter I have another dust collection point at the bottom of the saw where I have sealed in the stand with a board and Delta dust collection hood. I am getting much less saw dust but the forward motion of the saw blade still kicks dust outward towards the operator.

In the book "Controlling Dust in the Workshop" by Rick Peters, he talks about cutting a hole in your blade guard and attaching a 2" hose. Have any of you tried doing this? Has it been effective?

Thank you for your help.

Dick Snyder

(If you want to email me rather than posting your reply, please remove the string "REMOVE-" in front of my email address)

Reply to
Dick Snyder

=================================================== Yes and it will work ...

My saw is a Jet Cabinet Saw and I use an Excalibur overhead guard and have a Griz 2 Hp DC ....

The guard had a DC port for the blade ON THE BACK of the guard not the front... I never could figure out why...it was on the back ..but Excalibur stated that the dust is picked up more effeciantly off the blade at the rear not the front.... to which I say...BULLS*** !

Anyhow I continue to use the Griz to collect dust inside the saw BUT disconnected the Griz DC from the blade port..at the back of the guard . AND

I sealed the rear port... drilled a ~ 1 1/2 hole in the side of the lexan portion of the blade guard near the front of the blade..and then sealed the entire front of the guard .. hooked up my old shop vac (small hosed one NOT the normal 2 in hose ) to the new port

It works 100 percent better now.... the downside is that I have to use both the DC and the shop Vac... when using the saw...BUT the on-off switchs are handy and it is no problem..

This setup has been in use for maybe 5-6 years now...and I am satisfied with it...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

I did make a connection for the top of the blade guard and it does works well. Probably picks up 70%. Sometimes the hose gets in the way but livable.

Tim

Reply to
TDUP

Your opinion is pretty accurate based on my own experiments. I did a lot of prototyping of shopmade blade guards and experimented with all kinds of connection geometry. I used a direct 4" connection through a 10 foot hose directly to a Jet 2 hp collector, so I had gobs of suction available. I found the connection at the rear of the guard was utterly futile and quickly abandoned the idea.

My current solution completely divorces the dust collection from the guard. I have a home made nozzle placed in front of the blade that rides on top of the wood when ripping and hooks to the rear of my sliding table fence with magnets when I cross cut. This is hugely effective. Most people would regard it as a pain. I hate that spray of dust from the saw with a passion and its worth it to me. I have a Jet air filter in my shop. I used to use it regularly. Since I got this dust collection going on the table saw, I never turn on the air filter. Its not needed.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Thanks Bob. Is there a reason you use your shop vac for the blade guard dust collection versus adding a T on the main 4" line with a step down coverter to 2 1/2" and then a 2 1/2" hose to the blade guard?

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder
[snip]

I have the Biesemeyer overhead dust collector and it has the port in front of the blade. Works fine. It does seem to be counterintuitive to put it at the back. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I have the same. but I modified mine to use a 4" hose it works far better. even when I do cuts that are only on one side of the wood I catch pretty much everything.

Reply to
Steve Knight

What diameter was the dust hose before you modified it? Did you have to make any changes in regards to air flow to increase the dust collection?

Reply to
Upscale

The ID of the port is 1 3/4". j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Bob -- Could you please post some photos of your setup at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking? Your solution seems to be exactly what I have been looking for but I cannot fully picture it. Thanks. -- Igor.

Reply to
igor

Like this ???

it works but I don't have the 4" line connected to my saw "yet".... That's next. A LARGE Craftsman vac handles the overhead dust "fairly well" but NOT 100%, which is probably impossible.

Dick Snyder wrote:

Peters, he talks about cutting a hole in your blade guard and attaching a 2" hose. Have any of you tried doing this? Has it been effective?

Reply to
Pat Barber

Sure. I promised Dick Snyder I would do that later this week. My disclaimer is that it works for me and my priorities. 40 year experienced woodworkers who run without a guard and dislike anything getting in the way of seeing what they are doing will hate it. I also have a spotlight built into my blade guard. :-) I'll include that in the picture for grins.

Bob

Reply to
Bob