Dust collection Vs Cabinet saw

The whole Unisaw vs. the world quesion has been asked an debated many times. New slant, dust collection is important to me. Looking for opinions on cabinet saws with a built in 4" port and how well they contain dust.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

I have a Jet cabinet saw with the built in 4" dust port attached to a 2 HP dust collector. The dust collector helps but the cabinet still will partially fill up with saw dust. I vacuum it out occasionally. With the standard blade insert some saw dust still escapes over the top of the blade. A zero clearance insert further reduces the DC's effectiveness. For maximum dust collection the 4" pickup below the table and a blade guard with a built in dust pickup would be best.

Nova

Reply to
Gerry

My cabinet saw (Jet clone) catches most of the dust via the 4" port down near the bottom of the case. Some dust settles just under the port at times (the port is slightly higher than the bottom of the angled base leading down to it), but that is no real problem. With cabinet saws, you will probably find that most of your dust escapes from the top of the table, so a good overhead guard with a collection port will help quite a lot. The bigger the port on the overhead guard the better. Many come with 2" ports which is a little small if you are going to hook it up to a dust collector rather than a vacuum. Zero clearance insert will help too as previously suggested.

Good luck!

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides

- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set

- GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw

- Triton Powered Respirator

- Veritas Power Tool Guide

- Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo

Woodcrafter

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:35:38 +1000, "Woodcrafter" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

My take on this is that most of ( the _debirs_ will get caught in the underneath extractor. The dangerous, really fine dust will get out into the shop air. That includes the stuff that blows straight through most of the dust baags on the average extractor system!

People appeared to be saying it makes it _worse_. It stop suction from around the blade, stops dust getting into the caniet, and allows air to be sucked via other ports in the saw, thus bypassing ghe blade slot where all the dust is.

Reply to
Old Nick

I experience with a Jet cab saw is that *it depends*

dust collection perfoms well on a through-rip operation. If a cut is just slicing a fractional kerf width, the majority of the dust is flung forward above table.

As you may have guess I do not have any over-arm dust collection. IMHO, if you want to to get serious about cabinet saw dust collection, you have to suck from the top *and* the bottom.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M