Delta/Powermatic Contractor saw vs Grizzly 1023

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to upgrade from a Shopsmith. I've been looking at the Delta 36-507X and Powermatic 64 contractor saws. Price between these two saws are fairly close, at least in my local area. As I've been researching, I've come across the Grizzly 1023 Cabinet Saw that falls within the same price range. I certainly like the features of the cabinet type saw, however my budget does not allow for a Unisaw or Powermatic 66 cost.

My needs are primarily directed as a hobby doing occassional projects for the home/family, however I'll be retiring in a few years so my woodworking activities will be picking up. I want to build up my workshop over the course of time starting with a table saw.

Any comments on the pros and cons of the Grizzly 1023 or alternative saw vs the contactor style saws would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Gerry

Reply to
GR

gerry,

i replaced my delta with 5 hp grizzly 1023 last year. best thing i ever did. that saw eats anything i put through it. it busts through

8/4 maple better than the delta cut 4/4 pine. the 5 hp (probably more than you need) runs $1150. two weeks after mine arrived, they went on summer sale for $950. i called and grizzly FED EXed me (yes overnighted) a $200 gift certificate. was impressed to say the least. my saw runs 6 days a week 6 - 10 hours a day. not a problem yet.

sidenote: not sure what they run now, but when i bought mine, you could get the 7' rails and extension table leg kit for $49.95 - do it. i have an HTC w/ 7' rails on it from old saw, but the set from grizzly is in the shop loft. $50 is just way to cheap to pass up.

Reply to
RemodGuy

Do a google search and you will find that most people are very happy with their 1023s. The only thing negative I have seen is with the shop fox fence on the higher end (z model) machines. Supposedly it doesn't always lock square to the blade. My advice is to stay with the shop fox "classic" fence. It is a Biesemeyer clone and solid as a rock.

Reply to
Montyhp

RemodGuy,

Thanks for the feedback. Seems that Grizzly's customer support is first rate.

Another question, do you know if there is ample support of aftermaket accessories for the Grizzly. Things that come to mind is a tenoning jig and blade guards.

Thanks again,

-Gerry

Reply to
GR

Montyhp,

Thanks for the feedback. I did search google and found some good information. I did come across the issue with the Z model fence.

-Gerry

Reply to
GR

I think the so called "issues" with the Z model fence are blown out of proportion. I don't have the Z model, but in talking to a few people who do it seems like a great fence. I've been told by these people that whoever says it doesn't lock square must not own and use one. So, take that FWIW.

That said, I chose not to get the Z fence and went with the G1023S. And I am plenty happy with the Bies clone style. Not having the rear side rail, it allows me to push my outfeed table right up to the cast saw table with no gap whatsoever, and I really like that.

Either way, though, you should be very happy with the Griz cabinet saws.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Go for the Grizzly, I own the G1023s for 4 years. I've used the Jet, unisaw and a number of other cabinet saws in the past 43 years. The grizzly is at least as good as any except the powermatic, and maybe the general.

mike

Reply to
mike