Lee Valley plane question

My LV catalogue came yesterday, and as usual I was drooling over all the cool new toys. I have bought numerous LV toys and I never picked up anything from them which was not up to par, which leads me to this question. On page 34 there are these two Hong Kong planes, E and F, that together go for $31.50 total. I find it hard to believe that two quality planes could go for this price. Has anyone her actually used these planes who could tell me something about them? TIA.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

I haven't used those planes, so I can't comment on their quality. I can identify with what you're saying, however, regarding receiving quality items from Lee Valley, almost without exception. The thing to keep in mind, though, is that you still have to look at what your getting for what your spending. In other words, it would be silly to expect these two planes to perform better than a L-N smoother, or a L-V smoother, and definitely not a Knight smoother. But, I would almost guarantee that these will be the best planes you can buy for $31.50 (short of getting some old stanley's on ebay or at auction or something). See what I'm getting at?

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I don't have those, yet, but I did but the Contour Planes on page 33 a while ago. Very nice tools, sharb out of the box, honed, and do a nice job on end grain. I use a small happer I had picked up from harbour freight to adjust the blades. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman