Lee Valley, Planes on Approval?

Folks,

With all the recent talk of the LV low-angle smoother, among other things, thought I'd toss this out. Kinda longish ..

I ordered some doo-dads, and gewgaws from LV a few weeks back. The doo- dads for me, the gewgaws for SWMBO. Among the doo-dads, the LV low angle block plane.

A week later, the box shows up; and in the distribution of the items, I notice the plane box is quite a bit bigger than I expected. Upon inspection, I see that LV shipped the LA smoother, not the block plane. I checked my order, and the invoice, they both show the block plane, and that's what I was charged for.

I called LV the next day; they apologized for the mixup, and said they'd ship the block plane out right away; then I could return the smoother, and they'd refund shipping. Fair enough, all the way around.

I confess; I did open the smoother box. A few days later:

SWMBO: "So can you use the plane they sent you by mistake?" Me: "Sure..." SWMBO: "Why don't you keep it then; makes no sense to send it back, only to just reorder it later" Me; "Ok, but I'll wait till the plane I actually ordered shows up, just to make sure that's really what I wanted" ...

The block plane showed up; I've actually used it; it's a really nice tool.

I called LV, and they were quite happy that I wanted to keep the smoother.

LV: "We should start sending out more items by mistake!" Me: "Yeah, you can call it your 'Planes on approval' program". LV: ...

I haven't had a chance to use the smoother yet, but boy is it nicely made. I'd concur that for someone just getting into neandering, these are really nice tools. I'm really impressed with the workmanship, and design of these two planes.

Regards,

JT (not affiliated with LV, other than as a very satisfied customer)

Reply to
John Thomas

Oh great, the Columbia House of planes. That would wipe my pocket book right out. You shouldn't even suggest such things.

Actually, didn't LN or Garrat Wade or one of them have some kind of membership a few years back where you would automatically get new products?

OK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

I purchased a set of the Hirsch Chisels they sell and was tinkering with them over the weekend and ooh-la-la. They are sweet and very reasonable priced. Thanks Robin !!

Reply to
RKON

Bridge City Tool Works has a membership program wherein you get discounts and advance notice or something like that. Their tools appear well made, but I've never used one. They best be for the prices they charge.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

3 planes for $1, buy two more over the next two years.

Perfect!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Thanks for the kind words ... I'm glad it worked out for you! I hope we aren't shipping too many smooth planes for block planes.... :O

I've tried to find you on our system, but haven't been able to yet (many, many people with the same name!).

Can you give me a shout by email, with your customer number (or address)? There's something else I'd like to do...

Cheers -

Rob Lee

Reply to
Robin Lee

This post might be a mistake. You'll be inundated with customer id numbers. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

|Thanks for the kind words ... I'm glad it worked out for you! I hope we |aren't shipping too many smooth planes for block planes.... :O

Dammit. This is very unfair.... I ordered a low-angle block plane and you actually sent a low-angle plane last Friday. You did not send _me_ a smoother by mistake. Howcome? Don't you treat all of your customers the same? [grin]

Seriously, it's a nice tool and great service. Thanks,

Wes Stewart

Reply to
Wes Stewart

"I'm John Thomas, and so's my wife!"