Justifying the Donino.

This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices, precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring. Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of mortices on each end.

Leon

BTY I will use $6.72 worth of 5mm Domino's tenons to in these mortices'.

Reply to
Leon

CRAP Strike that, $3.36 worth of 5mm Domino tenons.

Reply to
Leon

the wRec).

All I have to say is ... Wow!

Reply to
Swingman

Leon, I don't know why you did that, but I never thought of the Festool as a recreational machine.

Although $5 - $6 is pretty cheap for an hour's entertainment, wouldn't it be easier to just sit in your garage and smoke a cigar and think about things?

I know years ago when I got my PC biscuit machine I used to arrange play dates with it. I slotted everything that needed it and then some. But now as B.B. says 'the thrill is gone".

Seriously, you up to something?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Reply to
FrozenNorth

13 hours to count them? That's some serious ADD. :-p
Reply to
-MIKE-

You remember my pantry? I am building 3 book cases, upper and lower units on each with the same construction detail. The lower cabinet unit will be 16" deep x 30.75" tall by 40" wide, The upper cabinet unit will be 12" deep x 49" tall by 40" wide. All in white oak with clear varnish, no two tone, and plain glass.

So altogether 24" wider than my pantry and about 16" shorter.

NO DRAWERS!, just doors with arched tops in the inner sections

The Domino is not as light weight as most biscuit cutters that I have used, it starts getting kinda heavy at about 100 mortices. ;~) But imagine doing this with a router, or bench top mortiser. Th only other way I would want to do this is with a multirouter.

Reply to
Leon

Well it took me that many words to count the slots and tenons. ;~)

How is the desk coming along?

Reply to
Leon

Two Times! LOL

Reply to
Leon

Using his fingers and toes he can only count to 19 1/2. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

-MIKE- wrote in news:jguh4t$42s$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Perhaps the problem was he was trying to count them as he set them up, and kept knocking them down. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Why? Or What for?

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Ah.... you remember old "stubby". LOL

Reply to
Leon

One more thing that the domino tenons excel at which I would have never though of doing with biscuits.

When matibg two pieces with these 5mm domino's I can glue and tap the pieces together, lift by the top piece, rotate 180 degrees, and then attach the opposite side. The domino's hold the parts together before the glue dries. Basically parts stay in place with no fear of parts coming apart from their own weight..

Reply to
Leon

The subject has been bugging me all day... Why on earth does it have to be justified? Why can't we just buy stuff because it strikes our fancy on a whim? So what if it only gets used occasionally if it makes us happy? I've got some tools that don't get used often but when I need them I NEED them... and when I need them I say to myself "I'm glad I bought this."

I think you guys need more practice if you are locked into this "justify" mind set... ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:30:26 -0600, Leon

168 mortises eh? Considering the amount of messages you've posted and time you've been online lately, I'm wondering how you found the time to cut those mortises?

Perhaps you finally got to Dominoing again because you managed to get it back after loaning it to Swingman? You gotta watch out for that guy. He's got a real fixation with your Domino.

Reply to
Dave

Domino. But not available yet.

Jim Weisgram

Don't look now, but you just proved that you, yourself, were "justifying" the purchase with a "need", no matter how occasionally that need arose. :)

I think you need to think a bit more about what you said and why you even took exception to someone's "justification", especially when he was pretty damn specific about what that was?

Every tool purchase, at a price level that is determined by the user and according to his need, has a "justification" for purchase.

Except for the bargain table at the Borg, and maybe even then, I would love to hear your explanation for when that is not always the case?

Reply to
Swingman

Leon wrote in news:6dudnQ9FBbqkLK snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Looked thru some/most of your pics. Nice stuff.

Reply to
notImpressed