Buying small amounts of cut wood (UK)

Hello!

I've decided to embark on a small project that needs just a few small bits of any quality wood, but I have no idea where to get it from. It also needs to be precut because I don't have the tools or space to cut it myself accurately.

The project is a Magnetic Stirrer. Basicly using a computer case fan with a strong magnet glued to it to make a steel pin spin in a jar placed on top. I drew up the plans on AutoCad and I need wood to make a

100x100x50mm box, just big enough to house an 80mm fan, battery, switch and variable resistor, and to fit a coffee cup/gravy jup/protein shaker on top.

I need something like:

1 of 100x100x10 1 of 80x80x5 2 of 80x40x10 2 of 100x40x10 2 of 80x20x10 (inserts)

Depending on what joints I choose (if any).

So where could I get some cheap pre cut wood for an order of this size?

Thanks.

Dral.

Reply to
Dralisk

Do you have access to a hobby store, a large toy store, lab supply house, etc. that would have small laboratory equipment? In the US lab equipment or toy lab equipment is found in many place like mentioned.

These are also available through some online websites for store like mentioned above.

If so you should be able to buy a stirring motor that is exactly like you are trying to build. Probably less than the materials you are looking for. This is especially true if you consider the time you are spending looking for and buying the materials.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Do you not have any friends/neighbours who could do the cutting?

Reply to
Stuart

Like this?

them in chemistry for decades. Only thing missing back then was the heater to keep the coffee hot.

Reply to
Casper

Rather than trying to build a wooden base without the proper tools, why don't you look around for a good plastic box. I am sure that you could find one that would fit your need and be easily modified to suit your needs, plus it will be simple to clean up spilled liquids as they won't soak in or damage the finish.

Reply to
EXT

If you build, the box, remember that you must consider the distance between the two magnets. If the distance is to great the stirrer will not work. There is a point where the magnets are close enough to affect each other but not close enough to with stand the centrifugal forces of the spin and the magnets will wobble and fly a part. (Assuming one of the magnets are free.)

The distance between the magnets is critical

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Doesn't matter. Your plan won't work.

  1. The fan motor is much too fast.
  2. A steel pin won't spin - it will follow the magnet.

Real magnetic stirrers have a) An adjustable speed motor from 1 to about 200 rpm, and b) A rod magnet as the stirring mechanism encased in Teflon (or glass).

Reply to
HeyBub