Cut hole on stucco for bathroom fan

I'll install a bathroom fan for a small washroom on main floor of my old

2-storey house. As I got suggested from this forum, the fan can be installed on the ceiling, and vent out horizontally in between floor joists. Need advice on two issues:

1) Exterior wall is stucco. How can I make a 3" round hole for the duct. Need to rent some special tool from Homedepot?

2) Inside stucco, what else I may encounter, and hard to handle? could be "wood bearer"?

Thanks!

John

Reply to
John61

A circular row of 1/4" holes spaced near as close as you can followed by a smack with a hammer, you will likely find stucco netting or expanded mesh inside to trim as well.

Reply to
beecrofter

Something like this

I used them to cut through cement backer board or wood lath & plaster for electrical box "mug rings".

Makes a nice uniform hole.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

A 4" angle grinder and a diamond tip blade will cut through the stucco, foam and wire mesh easily.

Venting through a wall.

Venting through a soffit.

See

-- Oren

Oren

Use a hole saw as recommended by others. BE SURE TO MAKE PILOT HOLE TO AVOID DRIFTING OFF. Use SLOW STEADY pressure. Really really slow. You may hang up when you hit wire, so be ready and have good footing if'n your drill decides to play a trick on you and try to throw you off the ladder. Take your time, and you will drill a nice hole. Stucco is soft, but the wire presents its own problems, and then you're going to have particle board of plywood to go through, too.

Put lots of pressure, and it's going to be raggedy and you'll probably break something. Like a finger or arm or nose.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB