JUST ONCE.....

You say that like it's a bad thing, LB. ;)

And a new diaper?

Hard to miss, eh?

-- I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 00:05:48 -0600, Steve Barker

Your arrogance in the face of possible injury is absolutely stunning.

*You* are exactly the time of person the SawStop if designed to protect. It's patently obvious that if you accidentally cut a finger off, you'd be the first to go crying to a lawyer. ************************************************** I understand his point. People who use their table saw without a guard might need one. Put the guard back on the saw, and use some care in how push sticks are used, and it is hard to imagine how one could cut a finger. I teach hormone filled boys how to use one, and have not had an issue without saw stop. I hope nobody makes me get one, because the saw stop basic saw is no where near as nice as the saw it would replace.

Moral of the story is use the guard.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 08:26:04 -0600, Leon

There's one thing that all the SawStop naysayers don't consider. That is the fact that there's no incidents of the SawStop failing to function as it's designed to. (At least, I haven't heard of any) If there were, the news of it would have reverberated throughout the woodworking industry as well as all the general news sources.

Apparently, the SawStop works as it's designed to otherwise we'd all have heard about it. 'Nuff Said!

Reply to
Dave

yes sir!

Reply to
Steve Barker

refusal to even

consequent inability to

i just want it to remain a CHOICE.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You're right, i probably did lash out in the wrong place. It just irks me to see so many seemingly smart people condoning government control and regulation. I'm sorry if i personally offended any persons in this group. I do get a lot out of reading the messages here.

Reply to
Steve Barker

arrogant refusal to even

consequent inability to

As long as they can be disabled, they WILL be disabled - and accidents will still happen. Forcing every saw to have one will NOT necessarily save many fingers or hands.

Look how many saws are run without guards or splitters. Or by guys not wearing goggles.

Are they a good thing? Quite likely. Particularly in a high speed production environment and/or where inexperienced operators are involved. But having saw operators DEPEND on that kind of technology to keep them safe detatches them from the ramifications of careless operation - and if they get careless - and the device fails or is defeated for some (possibly very legitimate) reason, they are finished.

Much better, in my opinion, to train them to be extremely carefull and to use the already mandated and supplied safety devices. - and to SUPPLY the devices. (like push sticks, finger boards, splitters and guards)

Reply to
clare

Much better, in my opinion, to train them to be extremely careful and to use the already mandated and supplied safety devices. - and to SUPPLY the devices. (like push sticks, finger boards, splitters and guards)

Good points.

If I was a high school shop teacher (and I am) and I had a saw stop, I would tell the guys that they did not work as good as it shows on you-tube and even worse, that they sometimes did not work at all. That way, they could not depend on the saw stopping to keep them safe, and they would have to work on developing safe work habits.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

On a woodworking group it's hard to imagine a political election being a better target than forced saw stop ownership.

I think in addition to forced ownership of saw stop crap, the hand wringers should be forced to buy/use power feeders. Much cheaper than buying a new hand, right?

Of course if you fall into the power feeder... Well, maybe a law to force these guys to plunk the plank into the feeder with the power off, go in another room with the power switch, like a dentist doing xrays....

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Jack Got Change: Supply and Demand ======> Command and Control!

Reply to
Jack

And as all kids do they would look to prove you wrong and think you were a liar or incompetent since you could not prove that they did not work.

Tell the truth, teach them the correct way to use a TS because they may not always have the luxury of working on a TS with this technology.

Reply to
Leon

...not that they aren't trying, mind you.

Reply to
krw

Steve you did not offend any one IMHO but you did seem to show a bit of ignorance, and please don't that that as an insult. Most all of us have been in your position and hopefully you will not ever have to experience what a few of us have. But for those of us that thought like you and have seen the light you looked and acted like an arrogant beginner, like we all have.

Regardless of where these guys that are producing this saw are coming from, and we would all be naive to think it is all for the good of the people and not to make money, they are producing a quality product that is safer than anything one the market. When it comes to my safety I am going to swallow my pride and make the smart choice.

Reply to
Leon

You mean like this:

Jack

The fallacy of your analogy here is that if it is mandated by the government or actually willingly accepted by all manufacturers NO ONE is going to be forced to buy a saw with this technology. The choice to buy a saw with this technology or not will still be strictly up to you. I can assure you my wife will not be buying one. The simple truth is that that if you can not buy a saw with the safety device added you can elect to not buy a saw at all.

Even more aggravating to me is that right now you cannot buy a saw with out the common blade guard, a device that is way less effective that the saw stop technology and yet we buy these saws any way but only because we want to. No one is forcing us to buy these saws with the less than desirable guards, which are mandated by some authority.

Reply to
Leon

Can a car company force you to buy a car? No, you can choose to not buy a car. Can a travel agency force you to book a trip? No, you can choose to not take a trip.

Neither can a saw company. You do not have to buy a saw. If you want to buy a saw that will be of your own free choice to do so, but you will have to buy one with an over head blade guard if you do.

Later on if you choose to buy a TS you might also have to get one with the Saw Stop technology o you can choose to not buy a saw. Noting is being forced on any one.

Reply to
Leon

I used to teach auto shop. Taught the kids not to depend on safety stops on jacks and ALWAYS use proper jack stands. - among other things.

Reply to
clare

but the sawing process is fascinating!

Reply to
Steve Barker

RE: Subject

First posted by a progeny of the Dumb Fuck family, Donald and Dory.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, and your students would promptly do some internet research, find out were lying, and call you out on your BS. Your credibility would be shot, and then how effective a teacher would you be?

Reply to
Just Wondering

i can guarantee if one of those was in a high school, there'd be a hotdog test every time the cartridge was replaced.

Reply to
Steve Barker