Jig or Ideas for making a clamp rack

I want to make a clamp rack for my bar and bessy clamps. Looking for something along these lines

'm struggeling to figure out how to efficiently cut all the slots for the clamps. I have a dado blade but don't know if it could make a deep enough cut, and I wanted to avoid doing it all with my jig saw. Any ideas?

Reply to
slindars

It might help if you were to tell us just what you have in terms of tools to make the cuts.

Two thoughts come to mind when looking at that picture.

One is that the individual shelves are each supported by a wood angle underneath. You could just construct each shelf individually and put some kind of common board on the back to brace/support it. Make sure everything is glued and fastened well and it would provide adequate strength for the clamps. You would essentially be putting this whole thing together from a number of component parts.

The other idea is to go ahead and make the top piece out of one piece of plywood. But drill a big hole with a hole saw towards the back. Then cut to meet the hole with a regular saw. You could do this on the table saw, radial arm saw, miter saw, circular saw, etc. And if a small peice is still there holding the wood together, then use your jigsaw.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Good point about tools. I have a pretty full shop minus a bandsaw. Which as I write this would be a easy way to do it. After I posted this, I did get the idea like you mentioned of drilling out the end of the slots with a Forster bit and then completing the cut with either the Table saw or jig saw.

I have about 12-15 clamps I need to store (for now) so I'm not sure if that justifies making a router template.

Reply to
slindars

It sounds like you're thinking the rack should be a shelf with notches cut out, like the horizontal piece is all one board. why? Why not cross cut all the pieces so that they're separate, then attach them to the clete separately? If you're worried about strength, you could put a piece of 1x1 across the top of all the boards to tie them together.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Here is a plan for the Bessys in my shop.

Strong and easy to make.

Dave

Teamcasa

Because that is a logical & simple solution? :)

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

No, no no. It must be far, far more complicated than that. It must involve at least every tool in the shop, preferably twice. And at least a coupla' trips to the hardware store. And maybe two trips to the lumber yard. It should have inlays, dovetails, wedged through tenons (with ebony wedges, of course) and a nice mixture of stainless, brass and brushed aluminum hardware. Finish should be french polish, nothing else will do.

Yeesh!

-Tim

(Whose clamp rack is 1x2 strips nailed across the studs)

Reply to
Tim and Steph

And you could always do what I did, because I was in a bit of a hurry. A 4 foot 2x4, two pieces 3 1/2 inch long of the same 2x4 for spacers, and glue/screw the thing on the wall in a good location. Strong enough, I had the piece of 2x4, and the clamps come off, go on, with enough ease to actually use the thing.

If it's too complicated, expensive, or whatever, the clamps will sit on your bench, adorn a garbage can lip, or just get in the way.

Oh, if you have a lot of clamps, use a 6 foot 2x4.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Rich

Tim and Steph wrote:

Reply to
rich

On 3 Jan 2006 12:30:17 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com quickly quoth:

I made the A-frame style so the clamps just hang onto the angled "ladder" sides. With a framed box on the bottom, I can store my C-clamps and wooden clamps, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I use a 1x2 with a back piece that will screw into the wall joists. I simply clamp the clamps onto the 1x2, and loosen off as needed. They don't need to be clamped really tight, just a couple of easy quarter turns after running the bottom part up to secure to the wood. Slightly fussy for one or two, but I have a few seconds to spare.

Reply to
Guess who

Hey! Mine is too. I thought that was an original idea :-(

Yeah, few feet of 1x2 and a hammer and BAM... groovy clamp rack ;-)

I always raised an eyebrow at those woodworkers that spend most of their time making kewl stuff for their woodshop.

Reply to
Joe Barta

You did forget that it Must Require the purchase of a new tool. Perhaps a Bandsaw, as the OP did mention he does not own one.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

What a Wonderful Excuse to buy a bandsaw!!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Slaps forehead, shakes head in disgust...

Wow! I am slipping! Jeez. Thanks for covering for me!

Reply to
Tim and Steph

Drill holes at the back of each slot with a forstner bit. Use whatever saw you have to remove the side waste.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

FYI Check out the space saving mobile clamp cart in the February 2006 edition of Workbench magazine. It looks like a neat unit to build and doesn't take a lot of high priced material to make. It's going to be my next project.

Reply to
Dave

Wed, Jan 4, 2006, 4:14am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@apk.net (Joe=A0Barta) puzzedly mumbles: I always raised an eyebrow at those woodworkers that spend most of their time making kewl stuff for their woodshop.

I don't much go that route either, but every once in awhile it's fun to make some very fancy gadget, made just to hang some cheape tool, or whatever, on, in the shop.

What puzzles me is the guys who ask these very basic questions, that 20 sec of thought on the throne, or just asking their mother, would give the answer.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Why do you guys keep building clamp racks? I thought every shop had them built in. Isn't that what those two long track-like things that come up from the side of that big door that never gets opened are for? My clamps hang from just one of them, but that is because I haven't built up a reasonably modest collection of Bessies or Jorgies yet, just

8 or so of them and 10 or 12 pipe and bar clamps. I haven't yet found a good way of using these built-in clamp racks to hold the C's, the wooden screw clamps or the picture frame clamps yet and, while most of my longer quick-grips are on the rack, they are a little too high for the smaller ones ... but what do you want for clamp racks built into the shop before it was even a shop. I have been trying to remember what this room was before it became my shop so that I can understand why those clamp racks were put there, but it escapes me. Maybe my wife can remind me after she comes in from scraping the ice off of her windshield....

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Never gets opened??? How do you get the '51 Dodge that you just got done painting, out of the woodshop then?

How do you keep from getting overspray on them when you're painting all of the small pieces?

Isn't that what the big shiney flat surface on the table saw is for?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well, I would probably just pick it up to carry it to my grandson's matchbox track ;-)

Ahhh, they are just clamps.

Reply to
Dave Hall