G clamp or C clamp?

I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

James Wilkinson

C clamp here. Never heard the term G clamp. G string, sure. But G clamp, no.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Never heard it of anything but "C" in US; I guess it's that we ignore the stem and look only at the casting in characterizing the shape.

Reply to
dpb

I use an E clamp, an A clamp, a D clamp, a G clamp, a B clamp, and then another E clamp, two octaves higher than the first.

Reply to
Richard Heathfield

A Google search seems to indicate that the names C and G are interchangeable.

That said, I've never heard of them being called G clamps until you made me look it up.

Now I'm stuck with that info floating around in my head forever. I hate you.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Musical advice for crossing the street:

C Sharp or B Flat

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I hate you more!

Reply to
bob_villain

Can I provide you two with some pillows? Or would you prefer mud?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

What's that thing under the bathroom sink?...a J trap or a P trap?...r

Reply to
RH Draney

How about "crocodile" vs. "alligator" clips?

Reply to
Mike Duffy

We call it a U-bend. Because the important part is the curve.

I can understand J-trap, but where does a P shape come into it?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Never heard of a G clamp on this side of the pond. False advertising though, they can be broken if you try hard enough or abuse them enough.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you try to use them as a vice perhaps. But I find them very useful for holding something steady for gluing or cutting.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

At least it's not "stormy's" cement nail - - -

Reply to
clare

As a Yank my preference is for C clamps and G strings.

Reply to
Frank

It'a "c" clamp when it's open, and a "G" clamp when it's partway closed and a "GD" clamp when you can't find it!!

And on the subject of clamps I still haven't figgured out why Britts use "g-clamps" to "cramp" something together - - - -

Reply to
clare

Long-nose or needle-nose pliers? I say there's difference, but most think they're the same.

Reply to
bob_villain

I find Brits *try* to be annoying with their use words. "Now lets's see what we can call this to totally alienate the other English speaking world? We are elitists...and no one can say otherwise!"

Reply to
bob_villain

Two differnat things. The alligaror jaws clamp together in a streight line. hinge near the middle and the crocodial ciips jaws cross with the hinge near the back end.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

We don't. Do you mean crimp? We don't use cramp as a verb. Normally we'd say something like "this tent is cramped", meaning it's so small we're sleeping on top of each other.

Reply to
James Wilkinson