G clamp or C clamp?

a TOOL.

Reply to
clare

Is a jointer not someone who prepares joints to smoke?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

That would be a "roller".

It could also be a student, a doctor, a lawyer, a construction worker, a football player, a truck driver, a cop, a priest, an actuary, a biologist, a draftsman, an innkeeper, a plasterer, a tumbler, a yodeler, a novelist...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?

You mean you don't know!!! "G" clamp is Female and "C" clamp is male

Reply to
Tony944

I would think the *extra* part on the G would denote male. (C being minus the thingis)

Reply to
bob_villain

In case anyone didn't know, a G-string is something you'd find on a guitar.

Some people do like listening to music while clamping things.

Reply to
hah

What about as S-trap?

Reply to
Sam E
[snip]

They're both so drunk they don't know which one is on top.

Reply to
hah
[snip]

I have a dictionary from 1934, that defines a "computer" as a person.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The U does look like an S if you include the rest of the pipe after you've gone up the far side of the U. But the U is the important part where the water trap is.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Yes of course....

But playing a guitar while clamping would be difficult.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

A U-Trap and an S-Trap are 2 different styles of traps.

Do an image search to see what I mean.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That use goes back a long way.

OED:

computer, n.

  1. A person who makes calculations or computations; a calculator, a reckoner; spec. a person employed to make calculations in an observatory, in surveying, etc. Now chiefly hist.
1613 ?R. B.? Yong Mans Gleanings 1, I haue read the truest computer of Times, and the best Arithmetician that euer breathed, and he reduceth thy dayes into a short number. 1646 Sir T. Browne Pseudodoxia Epidemica vi. vi. 289 The Calenders of these computers . 1704 Swift Tale of Tub vii. 140 A very skillful Computer, who hath given a full Demonstration of it from Rules of Arithmetick. 1855 D. Brewster Mem. Life I. Newton (new ed.) II. xviii. 162 To pay the expenses of a computer for reducing his observations. 1893 Publ. Amer. Econ. Assoc. 8 23 Some curious computer makes out the cost of electing a President for these United States to be four hundred millions of dollars.

Before the elctronic computer came along there were mechanical "computers".

Electronic computers came into use during WWII.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson [BrE]

I've only ever heard those called C-clamps here in the US.

Reply to
Lewis

Because one of us has to be wrong.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Stop replying to me if you've killfiled me.

The Irish are all stupid. I understand there's a lot of Irish blood in the USA....

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Isn't that rather limited?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I'd forgotten about muscles, because for some reason I never get cramps.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

We just used Chinese burns. Or a punch on the nose, depending how much you hated the other person.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

[THWAPP!!!] BASIL!!! Don't intimidate the foreign workers!
Reply to
James Wilkinson