G clamp or C clamp?

So the ladies liked the music?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Those are good for pissing someone off who says nudity isn't allowed somewhere.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

How does that work?

And it looks home made, like a screwdriver's been shoved through a G clamp.

The little end always comes off the cheapest G clamps.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

te:

You slide it to make contact with the thing to be clamped, then turn the screw to the tension required. Usually less than one turn suffices. Friction holds the sliding part in place, once tensioned.

They come by the boatload from China, these days, and are quite cheap.

That may be a problem with the other kind too,

Jan

Reply to
J. J. Lodder

The quick fit to size is what is useful. C-clamps are pretty useles, except in the smallest sizes.

Dutch has 'lijmklem' for it, lit. glue clamp. German the intimidating 'Schraubzwinge', lit. Screw Forcer. French the self-explanatory serre-joint. This came back to Dutch as 'Sergeant' for a special kind of clamp.

Not in my experience. However, even if in bits it is still usable.

Jan

Reply to
J. J. Lodder

You talking about "bessey" clamps?? Fantastic for woodworking, but qyuite a few places where a "bessey" won't work and a C clamp will - and in some cases a locking plierds like the british "mole" or American "vise-grips" or Irwin locking pliers are the only REAL solution.

Reply to
clare

Bessey is a brand name.

F-clamp is a style.

All Bessey's are not F-clamps and all F-clamps are not Bessey's.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Bessey, of course, makes a wide variety of clamps, in a wide variety of styles - including F-style and C-style clamps as well as spring clamps, parallel/case clamps, toggle clamps and handscrews.

For woodworking:

For metalworking:

Scott Lurndal

Don't ever buy batteries from China. They have 20% of advertised capacity.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

F-clamp seems to be American usage. I had to look up Bessey, as that seems to be American too. To my surprise I found that it is a German firm, and a German invention. (1936)

Well known of course, but the 'Irwin' of it tends to get lost in Europe.

Jan

Reply to
J. J. Lodder

Not in my experience. There is a general western prejudice of long standing, to the point that first Japanese, now Chinese are inferior products, cheap imitations of superior Western designs at best.

This was already wrong back in 1940,

Jan

Reply to
J. J. Lodder

Generally speaking, anyone who makes general statements is generally not 100% correct.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Every single one is crap, here's some examples:

Two of them worked once, then refused to charge in any charger, sitting at 0V. The other two had half the rated capacity.

This guy is advertising 10440 batteries which means they're lithium, except these aren't.

I tested these and got about 700mAh, not the 2300 stamped on the side.

The only batteries you can be sure of are ones made by Panasonic. Even Samsung are only 80% of what they say.

I have a Fuji camera rated at 10MP. I measured it as 2.5MP, it gives you files with 10 million dots, but groups of 4 dots are the same! The orientals make a living by ripping people off.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Please tell us how you tested them.

And those are probably manufactured in China.

----- -----

Is it Fuji or Fujifilm? The latter used to have good cameras. If the latter, please give model number.

Reply to
Tak To

It's not rocket science, you charge them fully using a normal charger. Then you connect them to a bulb that will drain their power in a reasonable length of time (say 5 hours, so you're not diminishing the capacity due to high drain). Put an ammeter in series with the bulb. Observe over 5 hours what current you get on average, and multiply that by the time it lasts. When I test Panasonic batteries, I get bang on what they are rated at within a few %.

My point is 90% Chinese batteries are s**te.

Anything unbadged, or saying "Trustfire" or "Ultrafire" or some such thing is not to be touched.

Fujifilm, I thought they were one and the same. They didn't used to have good cameras, this one is 5 years old and the previous similar one was bought 15 years ago. Both gave about a quarter MP of what they stated. The current one is a Finepix S1000fd.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

James Wilkinson formulated on Saturday :

So, most of them are good then?

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I've never said 10% is most. And when paying for batteries coming by mail, you want most to be about 98%.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Why blame the Chinese for you being swindled on ebay? Why buy batteries on ebay to begin with? Mine came from IKEA last time, made in China of course, and they are fine,

Jan PS IKEA innovated by also selling half-capacity rechargeables, at half the price. These are suitable for low drain uses, such as wireess keyboards for examle.

Reply to
J. J. Lodder

If I buy things on Ebay from the UK, I do not get swindled. China is full of cheap shit being sold to foreigners.

Useless for anything, whatever they're in, as they need to be changed twice as often. I've seen those in solar garden lights, so the damn things don't last all night. And the solar panels are inadequate too.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

SOME chinese batteries are pure crap. Same goes for SOME vietnamese batteries. Others are some of the best you can buy for any price. Knowing which is which is the challenge.

Reply to
clare