G clamp or C clamp?

I am in agreement.

Reply to
bob_villain

Same useage as here

I worked with a slew of Limeys in Zambia - several were from Liverpool, one was actually a Scott - and another was a Cockney. And then there was an Orangeman as well. half of them used "cramp" instead of "clamp" for holding something in place with clamps or straps. And the Orangeman wouldn't have known a clamp if it was tightened on his

--- ear.

Reply to
clare

Never heard of the expression "one wide and two deep"? Sometimes related to "screwing up"

Reply to
clare

"One wide and two deep" implies one person on top of the other.

"On top of each other" implies all persons are on top of all persons.

I ask again, how can that be possible?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, I would presume quite a few "over there" or it'd been pretty ineffective signage... :)

Reply to
dpb

I always wanted to stop in and chat but were working trips and were always out at the plant before they were open and by time were back wasn't that high on my list of priorities of the day any longer... :)

Reply to
dpb

There was a peripatetic brass tutor at my school named Mr G Clamp.

Reply to
the Omrud

Plumber (over the phone): I'll get there as soon as I can. Is it a P-trap or an S-trap?

Distressed housewife: Well, I use it for both!

Reply to
Adam Funk

Wouldn't it be a G-cramp in the UK?

cramp kramp/ noun noun: cramp; plural noun: cramps

  1. a painful, involuntary contraction of a muscle or muscles, typically caused by fatigue or strain. "he suffered severe cramps in his foot" synonyms: muscle/muscular spasm, pain, shooting pain, pang, stitch; hyperkinesis "stomach cramps" North American abdominal pain caused by menstruation. 2. a tool, typically shaped like a capital G, for clamping two objects together for gluing or other work. a metal bar with bent ends for holding masonry together. noun: cramp-iron
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It's not, but it is related to the Mafia "capo". "Capo" is short for "capo tasto", which means "head stop"--"capo" is just an Italian word for "head".

"Capon" comes from a Latin word of obscure origin, maybe from an Indo-European root meaning "cut".

Jerry Friedman

Is no a trap. Is a Siberian Jamster.

Reply to
CDB

That could be an advantage if the pain is somebody else's. In my childhood, boys believed that a punch to the right spot on the upper arm or thigh could cause a cramp, called a Charlie horse.

Friend 1: What horse won the Kentucky Derby?

Friend 2: I don't know.

Friend 1 (punches him): Charlie horse!

It hurt, but I never felt or saw it cause a cramp, and anyway we didn't use "cramp" as a transitive verb.

"Charlie horse" was discussed in a.u.e. recently. The origin seems to be unknown.

Reply to
Jerry Friedman

There is also a woodworking tool called a "joiner". It's purpose is to give a smooth, straight edge to a piece of wood. I was confused by the name until I realized that with a smooth, straight edge, the piece of wood could be "joined" together with a second piece.

A "planer" does the same thing with the wider part of the piece of wood.

Reply to
Charles Bishop

I'm a joiner.

I joined the Boy Scouts, the PTA, my church, AAA and some friends at a ball game.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A joiner is a person. A jointer is a tool.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

What do you call the tool who passes out joints?

Reply to
Mike Duffy

I don't know, but he's got long hair, has the munchies, and says "hi dude!" a lot!

Reply to
Muggles

A dealer.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

and jointer can be a trade in the electrical industry. Someone who joints cables with a joint.

Reply to
charles

Actually nit is called a "jointer" - short for "jointer plane"

Reply to
clare