Is this a Safe Table Saw Operation?

There is that. Darwin takes care of his own. Doesn't matter how wide or narrow the cut is if you're prone to that. Maybe make appropriate allowances by permanently removing the key from the power switch.

Reply to
MikeWhy

I think we've been down this road in another thread. People who do stupid things have more "accidents."

I've heard it million times, "I was being careful and I don't know what happened, something was on my shoe, I missed some saw dust when I swept, blah, blah, blah."

We make jigs and push sticks "grippers" and for a reason.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I am a heckuva lot more comfortable doing 20x20 than the long stuff, because I rarely work with long material and I don't have the outfeed support that you probably take for granted, and my fence doesn't extend very far past the back of the blade. That's the kind of thing I would have to stop, move things around, plan everything out, and be uncomfortable doing. I deal with small parts day in and day out, so my comfort level is much higher there. 20x20 is kind of huge for me actually. I make boxes not furniture.

I've been around table saws for 15 years or so, and I began doing it that way out of experience a few years ago. I don't expect to convert anyone to my way of doing it, but I maintain that it in that situation it's safer to back out than to go through. Longer pieces I do at the band saw, and I would do the short ones there too if I didn't feel it was safe.

The safety rules are good, but it's kind of like the building code. You can follow all the rules and still make a crappy house. If you understand what's behind the rule then you can understand when you're in a situation where the rule isn't going to cover it. I have a scar to remind me that using pushing sticks doesn't guarantee you're safe. The biggest mistake I see people make is to just fixate on what is happening at the cut and ignore what is happening at the fence. Get your hands out of the path of the cut and the blade will do its job just fine without you staring at it, as long as you do your job of feeding the stock properly.

Reply to
LEGEND65

I hope I can help prevent an injury here. Before you make the cut, stop and seriously ask yourself if there is a safer way to make this cut. Nobody will criticize you for working more safely, and for woodworking, you need to keep as many fingers as possible.

Reply to
Phisherman

I felt perfectly safe when I cut the end of my thumb off 20 years ago. I had completed cutting a dado and had turned the saw off. You never know when an accident can happen.

I NEVER use a push stick, they scare me to death. I always apply downward pressure, typically I use a Gripper or a home made hold down devise with a hook on the rear.

Yeah I used to think that way, I always keep my eye on the blade when it is spinning. My lesson 20 years ago taught me that any thing can happen when you are not paying attention to the blade.

Reply to
Leon

Grrrripper table saw accessory. Best store bought push stick thing-a-ma-jig ever. Robb

Reply to
Knotbob

"Leon" wrote

Ditto ... not enough "control", as far as I'm concerned.

I prefer the old "shoe" style "push" stick with a long "sole" that keeps downward pressure on the work piece, as well as against the fence if need be, way past the blade.

Reply to
Swingman

Grrrripper table saw accessory. Best store bought push stick thing-a-ma-jig ever. Robb

Anybody run a Gripper into the blade? I'm wondering if they explode like the plastic push sticks that come (or used to come??) with Delta and Jet tools...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I can see how our viewpoints can differ, given that. My thumb is the primary hold down and pusher device. Without it, I sure wouldn't have the control I count on for even the simplest cut. (I wonder if you're about to tell me it was your left thumb...)

I have my share of lessons learned also, but all of them without serious injury. Are they any less valuable for that? Most recently, I thoughtlessly, casually reached across the front of the blade to prod a cut-off away from the blade with a pusher stick. At least I got half of it right; the plastic didn't bleed as a result. It was over in an instant, leaving me puzzled for long seconds on what had happened. There was a loud bang, the stick jerked sharply, and there was a ragged new hole behind me in the shoji I just put up around that end of the shop. (Brilliant choice of material, that.) The fence wasn't even on the table, so it wasn't a kickback. The tip of the pusher got snagged by the blade, and slammed into the insert plate hard enough to shatter. The insert bears testimony to the saw's power. It's bent and dented now beyond salvage. Not to mention, a contractor's saw's trunnions don't hold up well to that kind of abuse. I had to re-align the blade to the miter slots after that.

Reply to
MikeWhy

If you are interested, I just posted a photo of the push stick I use on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Easily holds a 5" piece of wood.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hummmmm , Left thumb, I had just finished cutting a dado and had turned the saw off. I then proceeded to remove the fence, swung my left hand directly over the top of the blade as it was coasting down. Wham! It took me one year to finally realize what had happened when I almost did it again. I too initially thought it was a kick back but there was no damaged wood. Funny how your mind stops remembering when you get injured.

Reply to
Leon

I was using "push stick" as a generic term for anything in between your hand and the work. And I don't care how fancy it is, it can't stop the wood from bowing after it's cut. You may be able to keep it down to prevent the kickback with the gripper or whatever, but I decided it's just not worth it.

I didn't say ignore the blade, I said not to be fixated on it. You can even be staring at the damn blade and watch your hand go right into it before you realize what you just did. It's not enough to be looking, you have to have your brain turned on too.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 04:00:51 +0000, Leon wrote (in article ):

I've just changed my loud. instant-stopping FEPOS benchtop saw for a much better contractor's (site) saw with a 315mm blade, no brake and a near silent motor...

This thing takes about a minute to spin down and of course would be illegal if new (U.K.)

Respect. Fear.

Patience.

Reply to
Bored Borg

Very similar to the design I've been using for years:

Swingman

Correct, you did not say ignore the blade nor did I indicate that you said that. I said that I always keep my eye off on the blade when it is spinning. If you are set up properly and taking prudent precautions you should not have to worry about other areas of the saw.

I totally agree that you can be staring at the blade and watch your hand go right into it before you realize what you did. And, it is pretty simple to realize that having said that, that not watching the blade would increase the chance of your hand doing the same.

That sounds like a pretty simple analysis but accidents happen in the simplest of situations. You cannot be too careful.

Reply to
Leon

using that new fangled phone in the field? LOL

Reply to
Leon

I said that I always keep my eye on the blade when it is spinning

Reply to
Leon

Try using a blindfold. ;-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Reply to
PCPaul

I notice the ruler so you can brag how big your stick is.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski