inobvious sources for buying hardware and wood?

Okay, I'm looking at starting to turn out some dovetailed cases hopefully en masse (photograph of my prototype here:

but I'm not finding exactly the things which I want, either locally or on the 'net --- maybe it's that they aren't for sale as I'd wish, but this is one instance I'd like to be wrong.

In particular I want...

- a medium size cast brass handle (in-between the light duty and heavy duty sizes which Woodcraft offers) --- ideally it would be no deeper / heavier than the light duty Woodcraft handle, but instead just a bit wider to accommodate an adult-sized hand more comfortably. Other sources for other hardware would be welcome (I've been looking at Lee Valley, Rockler, &c.) since I still don't like the draw catches I'm using.

- a good source for 1/8" thick plywood sized 2 ft. by 3 ft. or so --- on the prototype I used a scrap of cut-off hollow core door which I found by the side of the road, and I'm still flabbergasted that the least expensive option I can find is to purchase hollow core doors and cut them apart.

I'm in south-central Pennsylvania if that matters (I would like to use local suppliers and will be making a trip out to Hearne's Hardwoods soon if I don't find a closer option).

William

Reply to
willadams

Anything here? Try ldearching for door/drawer pulls too.

- a good source for 1/8" thick plywood sized 2 ft. by 3 ft. or so ---

Easier to just buy the *skins* for hollow doors at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. for about $10. They are normally lauan. Others sell baltic birch and spruce, spruce mainly for aircraft.

dadiOH

can't you just buy the door skins by themselves instead?

Reply to
chaniarts

I can't help you with the handle but for the plywood you should be able to purchase a "door skin" at any decent building supplier for about $4.00. Another option would be to buy the veneer panels used to cover the exposed end of kitchen cabinets. Home Depot and Lowe's carry those.

Reply to
Nova

Check out:

lektric dan

willadams

My thanks to you, DadiOH and chaniarts for suggesting the ``door skins'' --- I'll check on those this weekend (couldn't find them in Lowes or Home Depot's on-line sites), as well as the kitchen cabinet veneer panels.

William

Reply to
willadams

HD stocks red oak and luan door skins (1/8" ply). they may be able to order other types. you may have to check down in the stack to find a good one though.

Reply to
chaniarts

Unfortunately, not the ones here in central, PA, nor can I find them on-line so that I could order them delivered to the local store.

Oh well, I did find 5.2mm lauan plywood which I guess I'll make do w/

--- what I lose in interior dimension I'll gain in rigidity and strength.

William

Reply to
willadams