Inlay help

I'm constructing a patio table and need help with a procedure. Drawing posted on APBW. I have a hexagon frame out of 10" x 2.5" cedar. that has been cut but not biscuited and glued yet. I am going to inlay/insert a large red cedar burl (2.5" thick) into it. The burl has been routed with a large straight bit leaving a perpendicular winding "shape" on the outside. My thought is to dry assemble the cedar frame, place the cedar burl on top, mark the outline and then "route" the cedra frome to allow the burl to sit inside. I'm unsure if I should firgue out a way to template this beforehand, route it freehand?, or what, anyone have any ideas? thanks

Reply to
mcgyver

I'd freehand the initial pass on a template - MDF seems suitable. It avoids a possible "accident" with the real top, and you can finesse the cutout to obtain the fit you want. Then use the template to cut the actual table top.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

Just had a thought on this project...what's going to prevent it from blowing apart with wood movement? Dous anyone have an idea how to go about doing this without having it blow apart?

Reply to
mcgyver