need help for making inlay

    • C
  • posted

hello,

I am trying to make an inlay (A (hp) logo) and this is my first experience in making inlay...

does anyone has a link to a good webpage that explains how to do such things with all the tricks and hints?

thanks, cyrille

Reply to
Cyrille de Brébisson

Off to the library you go. _Marquetry & Inlay Handbook_, by Zachary Taylor. One I've never looked at is _The Marquetry Course_, by Jack Metcalfe and John Apps.

(I've built the V-slot sawing jig, and am shopping for a fretsaw.)

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Go to my links page

to Marquetry Society there.

Reply to
WillR

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:01:26 GMT, the inscrutable "Cyrille de Brébisson" spake:

Why do an HP logo? Sacre bleu!

Try your local library for books on inlay, intarsia, or marquetry.

Look for David Marks' "Wood Works" episodes with inlay here:

covers it fairly well.

========================================================= What doesn't kill you +

you hurt more. + Web application programming =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Find someone with a laser. We have one in our shop and do perfect inlay by lazing (my word) the shape in the wood about 1/32" deep. Then we laz the same shape out of a piece of veener. Glue, sand, beauty!

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You could use the pair of natty little 3D printers in Building 3 - oh, I remember, Kali had them dumped 8-(

These are small letters with short straight lines and curves. They'd be hard to do with traditional woodworking inlay, which works better for for straight lines or big curves. A much easier approach is to use a "glue inlay".

Sand the surface well and seal it with a wash coat of shellac. Cut the ground for the inlay, using a sharp knife and a variety of tiny chisels. Infill this with filled and coloured epoxy, generously applied over the surface. leave it to harden, then take it down flat with a cabinet scraper. The epoxy should be filled enough to make it less brittle and easier to scrape down, but not so heavily filled that it's too viscious to work into the corners.

The Zachary Taylor book is good. Freshly out of distribution, it seems to be flooding the surplus bookshops and eBay - grab a copy while it's around.

Reply to
Andy Dingley