Removable Fasteners

I want to fasten one square wood frame to another in a fashion that can be easily removed. I'm thinking wing-nut sort of thing, but more attractive. Only one side of the piece will be accessible while attaching the frame.

Can someone offer a suggestion as to what to Google on?

Thanks

Reply to
Greg Esres

How secure does the union have to be? Attaching mating rare earth magnets to each works well if you do not need absolutely no movement.

Reply to
Leon

Rare earth magnets, sliding dovetails, T-nuts or threadserts (aka wood insert nuts) are a few possibilities. You didn't mention how big the frames are and how much load, and in what direction, will be on the fasteners, but you could tap the wood if it's a hardwood then just use machine screws.

RicodJour

I was going to suggest t-nuts also, or possibly "barrel nuts", threaded inserts (probably the same as threadserts?), or pocket-hole screws, if it doesn't need to be dissembled and reassembled too many times. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

woodworkers supply has some hardware that might suit you. Similar hardware is of course available from other vendors as well.

Greg Esres wrote:

Reply to
Russ

Leon write:

Movement ok, but it would be relatively heavy for magnets it seems. 3 ft x 5 ft frame, maybe, holding a sheet of glass.

Thanks

Reply to
Greg Esres

Yikes!

I'll have to study those.

3 ft x 5 ft frame with 1/4" glass over a window. I want to be able to pull it off fairly easily and quickly, hence the preference not to require a tool to remove it.

Thank you.

Reply to
Greg Esres

Andy wrote:

Reply to
Greg Esres

Some of that stuff may work...I'll have to study it to see exactly what it does.

Thank you!

Reply to
Greg Esres

Might want to have a look at these. I used them on a saddle rack for my mom. Three arms 24" stick out from the main body and hold saddles about 50-75# each. Needless to say I have no complaints. Saddlerack is about two years old. Watch the wordwrap. If the link don't work go to lee valley and search for tension rod nuts. Good Luck Lyndell

You may need a really long drill bit for some applications. :-)

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Tue, Jun 5, 2007, 1:23pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com (Greg=A0Esres) doth posteth: I'm thinking wing-nut sort of thing, but more attractive.

A pretty wng nut?

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

FIY the 3/4" x 1/8" round rare magnets will lift 22 lbs. each. The 1" x

1/8" will lift 30lbs. each.

See.

Leon

As the old saying goes, "You can't get there from here."

Unless the glass is in a vertical plane, it will probably break if you look at it cross eyed.

If the glass pane is vertical, the weight is such that unless you are a trained gorilla, even wing nuts won't get the job done.

Just curious, what is the objection to using some kind of tool?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Greg Esres wrote: | I want to fasten one square wood frame to another in a fashion that | can be easily removed. I'm thinking wing-nut sort of thing, but | more attractive. Only one side of the piece will be accessible | while attaching the frame. | | Can someone offer a suggestion as to what to Google on?

Try 'aircraft fasteners' (without quotes). There exists quite a variety of quarter-turn and push-to-open fasteners used in aircraft to provide easy removal, secure fastening, etc.

To get you started, I found

with some low-cost options...

Morris Dovey

Knobs. But I have just a vague idea of your application.

Reply to
Phisherman

What exactly are you doing? You'll get more creative, and possibly more humorous, answers if the specific application is known. Frinstance, if it's some sort of storm panel or shutter, then I'd recommend vinyl bulb weatherstripping and not worry about perfectly mating surfaces and closely spaced fasteners.

RicodJour

Wood screw.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm putting an extra thick sheet of glass in the inside of a window for an improvement in sound insulation. I'm thinking in a fire or an invasion by ninjas, I'd like to get out of the window pretty fast. :-)

Reply to
Greg Esres

RicoJour wrote:

Reply to