How to best read this newsgroup?

I'm switching ISPs, from AOL. AOL has a great newsgroup reader-- you can mark all entries read so that the next time you sign on,everything that comes up is newly posted, With IE and Google, I can never tell what I've looked at and what is new. I also can't directly access newsgroups via my ISP, they tell me that they "don't support newsgroups". Is there some newsgroup reader or other available freeware or shareware that lets you manage newsgroups efficiently?

Reply to
JFCBAS

Bjórrúnar skaltu JFCBAS rista --

XNews

Carl Nisarel

What's your computer operating system?

I use MT-Newswatcher on an older Mac.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

There are a few freeware newsgroup readers that will make life easy. My current preference is Gravity, it's free and you can get it at:

your new ISP doesn't support news you may need to subscribe to a newsserver service. You can sign up for a free account on Free Berlin service at:
It's a text only- NO BINARIES, so you'll have to scrounge elsewhere for your dose of woodpr0n from ABPW .

/vic Std-Disclaimer: not affiliated with gravity or free berlin- merely a satisfied user of both.

Reply to
VRadin

By going to the view drop down menu in OE, clicking on current views then "hide read or blocked messages" and marking the whole news group as read after reading what I wanted to, when I check the group again all I see are new messages from people I want to see messages from..

Reply to
Mike G

ditto. Works better, imho, than the related YA-Newswatcher. I prefer it to anything I've tried so far on 'doze or 'nix. YMMV

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

That's the combination I use too. The server is almost never down and it seems to get most articles. Most ISPs don't have a very complete news feed even if they do offer one.

And Gravity isn't perfect, but it's about the best I've tried. The newsreader in Netcape 4.?? would be my second choice.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Umm, you can do that with IE 6.0 also.

IIRC by default IE6.0 has new unread posts in BOLD. After being read the font goes to NON BOLD.

With IE 6.0 you can also hide all read message fromshowing up when you load the program.

Reply to
Leon

"CTRL H" will hide or unhide read messages.

Reply to
Swingman

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JFCBAS) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m04.aol.com:

MT Newswatcher for Mac is really good and Xnews for the PC is really good as well.

Oh and since i couldnt resist... "How to best read this newsgroup?"

With a thick skin and BIG grain of salt is often very handy.

;-)

Jerry

Reply to
JRMapes

bridger

Sure. Get a shell account from an ISP such as Panix.com ($10/mo, includes web space, email account, news group access, other stuff) or evne a free shell account easily found using Google and get a text mode newsreader such as slrn (what I use), tin, or gnus. Newsreading speed like you've never known before ;) Just a bit less pretty.

nuk

Reply to
nuk

Larry Blanchard wrote

adult entertainment in New York." Seriously.

Reply to
Jay Pique

That's probably the best way to read this group. With so many off-topic posts, marking all messages read and moving on means you won't miss much.

Mike

- who's got more folks killfiled in this ng than all others combined. Can we create "alt.wooddorkers.with.nothing.to.do" for all these OT posts?

Reply to
Michael Daly

No, it doesn't. Seriously.

It takes me to "Tom's Gravity Pages"

Not a nipple in site.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

no it doesn't. your browser has been hijacked. try a good spyware cleanup tool like adaware:

or spybot search and destroy:

bridger

Since I posted that one- Seriously. NO, it does not. The link **as quoted** goes to Tom's Gravity Page. Use the entire URL, you need the index.html also. Otherwise, you get a text page of New York Stripper information.

But either way- not a nipple in sight. Dammit.

/vic

Reply to
VRadin

No, I don't.

me to the gravity page

me to "Tom's Prohost Page"

and

's.Now, would someone PLEASE post the correct URL for the NY strippers?

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Reply to
Mark L.

Pre-X, I used all the Newswatcher variants (VA, YA, and MT). I switched to Thoth at least a couple of years ago, and I enjoy it greatly. Much the same user experience as Newswatcher, but with OS X.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig