Need info please: Delta TS # 36-454 Grand Edition?

Lady is selling her ex's saw. When I called, she read the model number as 36-454, with what she called an "extended table". I'm a novice looking for a decent saw. I searched Delta's site for

36-454, and it returned a PDF parts list for a 36-455 called the "Grand Edition" with what looks to be a Unifence and a right table board extension and support legs. Is that correct? What's the difference in the 454 and 455? I can't find anything referencing a 454 model number anywhere. What should I pay for this saw? She said her husband bought it 4 or 5 years ago, used it a couple times and it's set ever since. What problems should I look out for? Is it even worth my time to go look at it? She was asking $350 in the classified ad. I don't want to get rip anyone off or get ripped myself. Thanks up front for your advice. Dan in Nashville
Reply to
Google

I can't find any reference to the model #'s you reported, but if you live close, of course it's worth your time to look at it. You're in the market for a saw, right? Hmmm, her _ex's_ saw. Does her ex know she's selling?? Look for a good fence, and run the trunnion through it's paces. And look out for her ex! Start haggling at $250? Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

snipped-for-privacy@ssn714.com (Google) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

That's a fair price for that saw, if that's the saw you want/need. The saw will take you quite a ways to making all sorts of furniture, cabinetry, or whatever in a home shop, or small commercial endeavor. If it's a Unifence, or a Biesemeyer, you'll get good accuracy.

Do a few test cuts, though. I would think, at worst, you'd have to replace a belt, or a blade. And spend an hour or so with some clean up and lubrication. See Kelly Mehler's Tablesaw book for expert guidance.

$350 isn't ripping anyone off, in my estimation. You should both be able to smile. I think I would ask if she has other tools to sell, and then offer fair prices for those, if you need them. Mobile bases. Saw blades. Hand tools, etc.

She may be happy to clear up more room in the garage...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch