Need info Delta 36-600

I just bought the Delta 36-600 table saw at Lowe's today for $209.00, it was a floor model and was missing the miter gauge.

I would be interested in finding a good aftermarket miter -- any suggestions?

thanks in advance,

Vin

Reply to
Vin

My choice would be the Incra 1000 SE.

Nova

Thanks gents!!

Vin

Reply to
Vin

I second the Incra 1000 SE vote. Very nice unit & reasonably priced.

Paul

Reply to
Paul in MN

Any aftermarket is better than the stock miter. I have an AccuMiter. Available at Lee Valley or Woodcraft. The 24" model is almost as much as you paid for the saw! Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not really a miter guage, but I prefer it.

Glen

I recently bought the Incra V27 for $55. Simple, robust, accurate. Couldn't recomend more highly.

Ian Dodd

Vin,

Haven't come across too many other people that have a 36-600. Mine was a gift when I first started woodworking. As I got more into the hobby, I kept considering getting a better saw, but I just can't justify it. I've never had problems making straight cuts with it. I did put it in a mobile cabinet. That stand took up too much space.

Anyway, I have the Incra Mitre 1000 and have been very happy with it. Easy to set and seems to be dead on accurate.

Good luck,

Chuck

Reply to
WoodChuck34

Hi Chuck,,

Yeah it seems like a decent saw for the money. Cast Iron top too!

That Incra stuff gives me a woodie! LOL :-)

Vin

Reply to
Vin

Vin,

One thing I should mention (that most people here won't like), is that the blade gaurd/splitter on the 36-600,IMO, is at best a hazard, at worst an accident waiting to happen. Because it doesn't mount to the saw through the throat plate like most table saws, it flexes very easily. I used mine until the first time the anti-kick back prawls hit the blade.

I took off the guard/splitter, made my own insert plates, and made my own splitter.

Good luck,

Chuck

Reply to
WoodChuck34

Is the 36-600 similar to the TS-350? Sounds like a similar TS with the cast iron extensions, but the TS-350 has an induction motor. Lowes is clearing those out and I wondered if it was a good saw for a beginner for the price.

Reply to
rcabpeters

Hi Chuck,

It didn't come with the guard,, it was missing,,, any way you can post a picture of what you came up with. I have never used a saw with a guard/splitter before! But as I get older and now have children,, I take safety a bit more seriously!

On another note,,,

I wonder if anyone has a blown motor for one of these,,, I hear it may be common,,, I would like to see if I can modify the saw for an external motor,, just use the junk motor carcass for the arbor.

Thanks,

Vin

Reply to
Vin

The one my local Lowes carries has stamped wings and a not-so-great fence.

My local supply shop has the CS with the 30" Beis fence for about as much more as you'd pay for an aftermarket Beis fence.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

I've had this saw for about 2 years now and have had no problems with the motor (other than being very loud). Most of the projects that I have done were with 4/4 figured maple and cocobolo and the saw has never had a problem cutting through. I have had 1 kickback event (entirely my fault). This is a pretty good saw to start with to see if woodworking is for you. This saw has served me well but I am ready to upgrade to something larger. If you were in the Atlanta area, I would sell you mine for $100 and you would have a spare motor, fence, guard etc.

Enjoy the saw,

John

Reply to
John

The Guard is a joke, the splitter is only useful when ripping. I only use it when ripping lengths of wood. It's not needed when crosscutting or cutting sheet goods. I've never had a kickback, but my fence has been "upgraded" with additional supports and careful alignment.

Make certain that the little star clips holding the pawls onto the riving blade are tight enough to prevent the pawls from springing forward past the limiter roll pin and hitting the blade - a definite no-no situation.

The motors often fail, primarily because of improper varnishing of the motor windings. The new TS-400 version of this saw really sucks. It has a jackshaft motor, basically a hand-held circular saw motor, and this "new" (I.E. - cheap) motor is being supplied to replace failures on older in-warranty 36-600s.

I own a 36-600, due to be replaced very soon, and have overhauled and rewound the original motor in order to retain the long arbor shaft design of the original motor. Delta sent the new design for a failure under warranty, and it was so bad, I sent it back. They claim the original design is NLS.

It sounds like a jet engine, the 28" fence is woefully inadequate, and I have gone through 2 belts and a motor. Plus all the tweaking needed to produce acceptable cuts. But it has ripped 720 linear feet of 8/4 southern yellow pine in one session, and continues to provide useful service.

One other drawback to this saw you might not be aware of is that the arbor is of insufficient diameter beyond 1/4" or so to properly hold a stacked dado set. I use a Freud Super 8" and first outer blade and chipper fit OK, but the remaining blades fit loosely on the shaft, and will cause severe vibration and rough dados. I have to shim the outer blades when installing in order to properly use a stacked dado. You can use masking tape in a pinch, about 2 layers wrapped around the arbor usually works. It is time consuming, but the only way to avoid bad cuts and accelerated motor destruction from excessive vibration.

Retrofitting the saw with another motor is basically impractical. Remember that the motor must rotate with the arbor, and this is no small feat of DIY engineering that upsets the geometry of the saw. Plus the plastic arbor tilt adjustment nut will break if subjected to additional weight of an induction motor and related mounting paraphernalia.

I wish I had spent the additional money for a contractor saw with a longer/better fence, but it was the first tool I aquired, and it has worked OK for about 3 years. I have since accumulated a 13" planer, nice 6" joiner, dust collector, drill press, etc, etc.

It is truly a disease....

Greg G.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Chuck:

Just in case you are still using google groups. An internet search brought me to this site. I was given a 36-600, and I realize it's a problematic too l, but poverty impells me to make the attempt to use it for some projects. Anyway, there is no insert for the saw, and the part is now obsolete. I wou ld be extremely grateful to you if you could give me some information about what you did to make yours, what sort of materials, and any other insights from your experience with it, or the saw in general.

Thanks, if you are still around; if not, buon viagi.

S> Vin,

Reply to
anubisthecrow