Home Depot - what a bunch of maroons

Their modus operandi is to have their own stores compete against each other.

with their own store, as well as all the other stores nearby (lowes, sears, circuit city, target, bonton, etc

Reply to
sheldon.mandel

Because there's enough business in the area to support another store?

Duh, did you really need us to tell you that?

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Think about what any respectable hardware stores inventory/ product are Vs what is available in a typical Walmart hardware section.....I don't think they really compete. Now grocery store selection is another story but for the last hundred years bigger stores have driven out smaller stores many times over....Safeway, A&P etc.....nothing unique about Walmart competition on that front. Department stores also have a long history of bigger stores driving out smaller stores, Wards, Sears etc. all built empires (some temporary) by bringing more products cheaper to the market place.......The typical rant against Walmarts "unfair" competition reeks of hypocrocy.....speaking of why does Target get a walk? Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

What isn't fair, right and what does values have to do with paying more or paying less or shopping in one place or another? In my Dad's youth my neighborhood had a small grocery store on virtually every corner, in the days of little refrigeration and few cars people shopped daily...they also spent over 40% of their income on basic food.... they had few choices on brands, products or price but often as not a really cool shopkeeper whom gave the kids penny candy and the family some credit through the bad times........compared to a modern store with endless aisles of every product imaginable, choices galore and a price point only taking 15-20% of a families income......Life is full of trade offs and for every gain (price) there are certain loses (friendly shopkeeper) but fair has nothing to do with it....and you can if you so choose do all of your shopping at the nearest convenient quick mart but for some funny reason most do not.......Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Robert Haar wrote in news:C1A18691.21C4F8% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

Never thought of that:).

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

"A.M. Wood" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Yeah, 3X24 isn't very standard for a sander and a drill with a 1/2 inch chuck probably won't take a shank much larger, but probably will take a shank of a lesser diameter (cheap damn tool cant decide what it takes). Rigid tools (IMHO) are not garbage. Ryobi tools are probably the best tools a home owner/hobbiest can buy.

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Just Wondering wrote in news:4MudnV3NYKaiMuHYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Absolutely.

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

I assume this is directed at Mike's response.

todd

Reply to
todd

I never said the reason both hardware stores closed was because of Walmart. It does seems more than a coincidence they both closed after Walmart opened up.

The locals said the hardware stores couldn't compete on the stuff Walmart does sell like paint, power equipment, and general hardware. The specialized stuff Walmart didn't have wasn't enough to keep them going.

Target is different because they didn't start out targeting small towns in rural areas like Walmart. Target has generally treated workers better including good health coverage for part timers until 12 to 18 months ago.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Me said this

You said this

First go back and address what I said, not what you wished I had said.

Second, print a copy of your last post and put it in a frame in you shop and go out and buy all the Rigid and Ryobi tools you want. Then when they break and you find out you can't get them repaired because "that part is no longer available" and the brush/bearing is some whacked out custom size, look back at what you wrote and remember just how damn good those tools really are before you get out the sledge hammer to make em fit in the trash.

A.M. Wood

Reply to
A.M. Wood

Or could it be a falsity?

Reply to
dripping

No, that's what under-developed women wear under their blouses.

Mark & Juanita