Windows and Siding: Home Depot?

Hi All

I need new windows and siding...the siding is so bad that it will probably have to stripped off, and some of the plywood underneath replaced.

A sales-rep from Home Depot came by yesterday to give me an estimate. He seemed honest and knowledgable. The quote he gave for the entire job wasn't too bad either (I've gotten a few other estimates as well).

Now the question. Can Home Depot be trusted? Are there 6500 series windows really as good they claim them to be? Do they do a good job installing? They say they stand behind their work, but I've heard some horror stories. Any feedback would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks, tz

Reply to
tzeena

I'd not use them, but others have with good success. Sort of a mixed bag from various replies here over the past few years. They use local independent contractors. Some very good, some, well, every class has graduates at the bottom.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The installers are just contracted by HD, they are local. Best to ask for references of their work. If they won't give them...then you already have your answer.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

Run, don't walk to your nearest Pella dealer or store. Every sub contractor experience I've had with H-D has been a mess. Someone posted here that only subs that don't have much business on their own, work for HD. My 2 cents.

Reply to
Craven Morehead

thanks to all who have replied. it seems my concerns are warranted.

any other feedback...good or bad?

thanks, tz

Craven Morehead wrote:

Reply to
tzeena

I hired HD to do the three bay replacement windows in my bedroom. I watched them work and asked questions, which they were happy to answer

-- to their credit. I then went ahead and replaced the other dozen windows in my house myself. I did a much better job than they did insulating the cavities where the weights used to be. I also used more care to not scar the molding with my pry-bar.

A contractor will never care for your positions or your heating bills like you will. If you're at all handy, replacement windows are not hard. Full window replacements on the other hand could be a little tougher.

Reply to
trbo20

Well now - I do agree that HD is not the best first source to go to, but that's not to say that any and all who would be contacted through HD are bad. I got an excellent contractor by just trusting who would install some doors I wanted from my local hardware supply, I was new in town and the guy seemed reasonable. Turned out to be stellar, and now works word of mouth only. That was nearly 12 years ago; he just finished my kitchen, a job that went off without a hitch. He's done major work for two of my friends, too, with another lining him up.

This poster has a good impression of the HD contractor. So I'd advise this poster to get a couple more estimates, and pay attention to the contractor's apparent knowledge and how good the interaction is for the other two as well as how the prices compare - possibly the HD guy is the keeper, maybe not.

But to knee-jerk warn him away just for having come from HD is just dumb.

If I were him, I'd pay more attention to what knowledgable people here may say about the *windows*, and consider that in light of how much he wants to pay, how long he plans to be in the house, etc.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

For many of the common jobs like counter tops, kitchen cabinets, window or door replacement and floor coverings, I would seriously consider HD-type of contractors if you are new to your area or don't know people. HD charges their subs around 5% of the bid price, I understand, but for this you have HD "behind" the work. If the sub comes in and drops a hammer on your tile while removing trim, he's obviously responsible for the damage. However, many of the subs are small timers and getting them to actually pay/repair the damage is problematic. That's where the comfort of HD comes in. You would escalate your problem to the HD rep,, and if you are in the right, the rep will step in to either crack the whip on the sub or to get the repair done by someone else.

With a HD-like contractor, you also don't have to fear about getting the work done and all the subs/materialman paid. Your "down payment" and "final payment." is to a major corporation, and not to "Joe's window installation." If the materials or labor are not paid, HD stands between you and a mechanic's or materialman's lien, not just Joe's Window Installation.

If you want to save a little, HD also runs special deals for opening a charge account. We had granite cabinet tops installed and got 5% off for opening a charge account and then used the account to pay for the tops. The payment was deferred 12 months, so we paid it off 11-1/2 months later with no accrued interest. We had the money in an investment, and that was the equivalent of another 6% or so in savings.

Mark

Reply to
Mark and Gloria Hagwood

I would vote for Pella too having Andersen and Pella products in my current house. Visit the Pella website and download instructions on installing their windows and doors so you have an idea of what they are supposed to be doing.

Reply to
Art

I am still waiting for Lowes to send their plumber for the 4th time to correct the installation of a $1200 dishwasher. Work was done in December originally. Bottom line.... I wouldn't give Lowes or Home Depot any more of my installations money.

Reply to
Art

That's a darned shame. If I had been you, I would have escalated the complaint like crazy. What in the world happened? Was it a cut and dried issue, or are there different interpretations about what happened and what is needed to make you satisfied?

Nonnymus

Reply to
Nonnymus

Reply to
emr53

Reply to
emr53

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

A quick follow up: The Home Depot Roofing sales-rep (not the windows sales rep) came by last week to give me a roofing estimate. He also seemed very honest and knowledgeable. He spent a lot of time with and gave me a quote for removing the old shilngles and replacing with GAF architectural shingles.

In addition, i have also called 4 local contractors, yet have only heard back from 1 of them. He is coming tomorrow, hopefully. It has been my experience that contractors are some of the most unreliable 'business' people you will ever meet. I have been burned may times with contractor 'no-shows', this after taking the day off from work. At least the home depot roofing rep called me and said he'd be 15 minutes late.

tz

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

Reply to
tzeena