Home Depot - what a bunch of maroons

Which is fine, I was just pointing out that there were likely economic realities involved that had nothing to do with Walmart being an evil empire, especially in 1986. Bixby is still there, it didn't dry up and blow away in the wind, and today there are not only 8 Walmarts in the area, but tons of small business to boot.

Not sure what the complaint is.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

You might want to familiarize yourself with the difference between correlation and causation. A similar statement to the one you make above would be "Sleeping with one's shoes on is strongly correlated with waking up with a headache. Therefore, sleeping with one's shoes on causes headache." (credit to Wikipedia).

todd

Reply to
todd

Post hoc, ergo proptor hoc

First order fallacy

Reply to
resrfglc

Stinky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

But is Argon that clever?

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Argon wrote in news:041220062031521062% snipped-for-privacy@arg.org:

I bought a Porter Cable belt sander at Home Depot last year and the stupid damn store didn't have and Porter Cable belts. I had to buy the 3M belts they carried. Really pissed me off.Porter Cable sander -Poorter Cable belts. 3M sander - 3M belts. Klingspoor sander - Klingspoor belts. That's the way it should be.

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

You can't be serious. Would you extend this to drill bits, router bits, saw blades and all other expendable materials and accessories?

Personally, I would much prefer having tools that use standard expendables. That way, I can shop for the best deal in terms of quality and cost.

Reply to
Robert Haar

I know! I sure have a hard time finding GM gasoline.

Reply to
Nova

Why not? Only way you can be sure the drill bits match properly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And Panasonic DVDs for my Panasonic DVD player. I wonder, does Henry buy only TS blades made by his TS manufacturer?

Reply to
Just Wondering

Yep. That's why you need a Campbell's can opener to open your Campbell's soup cans, a generic can opener just won't do the job right.

Reply to
Just Wondering

It is not all that uncommon for companies of garbage products like rigid & ryobi to use oddball sizes that necessitate using their sanding attachments. Much different than Campbells that packages its products to work with standard opening devices.

Reply to
A.M. Wood

While it may "not be all that uncommon", in this case your view is considerably in error. Sleeve length on the Ridgid is 4-1/2", sleeve diameter is 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1-1/2, and 2 inches. The Ryobi sleeve package contains 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1-1/2, 2, and 3 inch 80 grit 4-1/2" long sleeves. The only way in which it "doesn't fit" the Ridgid is that it has an extra sleeve larger than the largest platen provided with the Ridgid. Further, those sizes are more or less standard, Jet, Delta, and many other companies sell sanders that take those same sleeve sizes.

Since you clearly have nothing to offer except a dig at a couple of products that you clearly have never used and likely never even _seen_, I am curious as to why you posted a response at all.

By the way, if that sander is any example, then Ridgid products are hardly "garbage".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. I've owned products from both of the manufacturers and have encountered the specific problem I cited. I also own (note the tense has changed from past to present) products from other manufacturers. They are not garbage and accept common sized fittings and tools.

Don't shoot the messenger pal. The stuff comming out of chaiwan ain't that great AND it's killing american jobs to boot. That's a lose lose in my book. Not sure why all you folks spend so much time cheering on what is inevitably your own economic demise. That's foolish in my book

A.M. Wood

Reply to
A.M. Wood

In Big Flats, NY, Walmart has a store, and a Sam's Club... Now they're opening up a supercenter less than a mile away. Whats the logic of that, other than to saturate the area and drive everyone else out?

This is in an area with a lot of malls already... looks like they want a fight

shelly

Reply to
sheldon.mandel

So you won't back off on your contention that the Ridgid spindle sander in my basement won't take the Ryobi sleeves that I was just using on it in my basement?

Are you calling me a liar or are just illiterate?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Has Wal Mart announced that they are replacing the existing store with the Supercenter? That has become fairly commonplace for WalMart, as the popularity of their Supercenters has proven itself. What would it really matter if Wal Mart or any other store opened new stores 100 feet from each other? If people are going to them, it is proof of consumer acceptance of those stores. Remember - Wal Mart cannot force consumers to come into their stores...

How does that look like "they want a fight"?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

First, proofreading is critical when your gonna be calling someone stupid.

Second, as far as literacy goes, I can't seem to find any message where I'm calling you anything, let alone "liar." If I had wished to call you a name I would have done so explicitly. So stop reading what is neither stated nor implied. You're wrong and that, well, makes you look foolish.

Lastly, no need to start the ad-hominem attacks just because you don't agree with my assertions. That's for kiddies and this forum is really intended for adults.

A.M. Wood

Reply to
A.M. Wood

When Target announced they were contemplating building across the highway from a Wal-Mart up north, we were somewhat amazed, yet they said that "facing the competition" was something they liked to do. First year the lot was generally uncrowded, but it looks like the numbers are picking up. Nicer store, too. Aisles allow two carts to pass in opposite directions rather than being crowded and plagued with end caps.

Reply to
George

Reply to
J. Clarke

It's very common for competitors to locate near each other. Look at McDonalds and Burger King. Look at any shopping mall. Even though malls are a more regulated environment, you still find competitors within the same shopping experience. That's because it's advantageous to be where the people are - regardless of what drew them there. It's not about Target wanting to "face the competition" (regardless of what they say), it's about locating where the shoppers are. Wal Mart draws them to one piece of highway, others locate there.

Reply to
Mike Marlow