Home Depot Plywood Quality

Lew Hodgett wrote: | Morris Dovey wrote: | || That doesn't bode well. Consider the lessons of Katrina... | | I'm not sure how that relates. | | The natural disaster of Katrina, turned the light of reality on | blatant racism as well as complete government indifference and | incompetence at all levels, especially federal; however, none of | that relates to alternate energy pursuits, IMHO.

Many people are delaying action in order to maximize a hoped-for government payment (either an entitlement or a tax incentive), much as many people lived in New Orleans staking their futures on hoped-for government maintenance of the levee system.

The lesson: It would appear to be a mistake to make important decisions based on expected behavior of government - regardless of whether those expectations involve public safety or energy policy.

Morris Dovey

I don't see how you can accuse the federal government of incompetence. Oh sure, mistakes were made, but there will always be mistakes when billions of dollars worth of stuff and people have to move in a short time.

Better to look at what the federal government DID do properly - and by "properly" I mean within the law and according to the requests of local and state officials.

Remember, the feds can't do much of anything unless asked by local functionaries. It's sad that the feds were hamstrung by the stunning incompetence of the local folk. For example, there were enough school busses to take a goodly portion of the people in the dome all the way to Houston (one "stolen" bus made the trip).

Reply to
HeyBub

New Orleans is manageable with the right funding and engineering knowledge, being heavily populated by blacks doesn't help secure the right funding though, if it were somewhere "paler" then you could guarantee the money would be provided.

But just wait until the huge landslip occurs at Cumbre Vieja on La Palma in the Canary Islands. Above sea level or not the entire eastern seaboard will be under water much deeper (as in about half a MILE deeper) than New Orleans ever was.

The only hope? Grab a surfboard, put Surfin' USA on your Ipod, kiss your ass goodbye and ride that wave.

Reply to
Mike

Ohhh, and don't forget your tinfoil hat!

Reply to
Robatoy

I'd say that to put your life style in the hands of others is definitely not prudent.

If memory serves me correctly, the state of Louisiana ranks in the top 3 states in the receipt of federal monies. Has been that way for years.

Maybe there is good reason for it, but it does develop a mind set among the residents that help is on the way.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

| I live near | Chicago, and the regional commuter railway system is pretty good, | as long as you're going to/from the city.

Do you remember when it was possible to travel from any point in Chicago to any other and to/from the suburbs by rail?

Do you remember being able to travel from Chicago to any other city by rail in comfort? I remember traveling from Chicago to NYC in a clean, well-furnished private room.

| The east and to a lesser | extent the west coast are good places to have passenger rail.

Ok...

| Other than that, there isn't much point right now to have it | anywhere else besides a few places.

What "few places" are you talking about?

And what "many places" are you excluding?

I think I might want to disagree with you, but I'm not quite clear on what you're saying ;-)

Morris Dovey

Let me spell it out for you: BUSH

He has proven to be unqualified as well as arrogant, and has surrounded himself with like kind.

The systematic dismantling of gov't seems to be their only objective and they are doing a pretty good job of it.

The wealthy get wealthier, the poor get poorer, and the middle class gets screwed.

Ain't life grand?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Just Wondering wrote: | charlieb wrote: || || We, the United States, are a relatively young country and are || still learning how to deal with problems. At the moment, we || happen to be being led by a child, and a not very bright one || at that. | | The President has relatively little influence on the national | economy. Congress, Big Business, Bis Labor, and the Federal Reserve | all have more to do with it.

As reflected in the decision to not open the Iraqi reconstruction to a normal bidding process?

Morris Dovey

No. When was that? I'll admit that you can get from many suburbs to another via Metra, you just have to go through Chicago first to do it.

Well, you can do that now with Amtrak. But it's a) extremely expensive and b) slow.

Houston and Dallas come to mind. Two population centers of several million people within relatively close proximity. Unlike Europe and Japan, that covers a very small part of the US.

Most of the rest of the US. Say, between Topeka, KS and Idaho Falls, ID.

Perhaps answering this question will help. Does the Chicago-area Metra have a line to Rockford?

todd

Reply to
todd

Oh puhleeze! The fact is that money was provided to the city of NOLA in years past. Rampant corruption funneled a significant amount of that money away from the levee projects that were to be reinforced.

This had nothing to do with race, this had to do with people who were expecting the government to solve all of their problems and local politicians who couldn't find their @#$ with both hands and a map.

Even MSNBC piles on:

Mark & Juanita

It has been a while. I remember taking the South Shore into the city from northern Indiana, then using the L and streetcars to get around the city and surrounding 'burbs. It was easier and faster than my much later trips through bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Dan Ryan. My decision to leave the area was significantly affected by that twice-daily ordeal.

|| Do you remember being able to travel from Chicago to any other || city by rail in comfort? I remember traveling from Chicago to NYC || in a clean, well-furnished private room. | | Well, you can do that now with Amtrak. But it's a) extremely | expensive and b) slow.

It took full day the last such trip I made. It was cheaper than flying, and provided an opportunity to unwind, relax, catch up on some correspondence, and to arrive refreshed.

||| The east and to a lesser ||| extent the west coast are good places to have passenger rail. || || Ok... || ||| Other than that, there isn't much point right now to have it ||| anywhere else besides a few places. || || What "few places" are you talking about? | | Houston and Dallas come to mind. Two population centers of several | million people within relatively close proximity. Unlike Europe | and Japan, that covers a very small part of the US. | || And what "many places" are you excluding? | | Most of the rest of the US. Say, between Topeka, KS and Idaho | Falls, ID. | || I think I might want to disagree with you, but I'm not quite clear || on what you're saying ;-)

Now I don't think I do - we were each thinking of a different type of service. I /would/ like to see more complete long-distance service (a la Amtrak), but my primary interest is in local commuter service from which even relatively small cities like Des Moines could benefit.

| Perhaps answering this question will help. Does the Chicago-area | Metra have a line to Rockford?

Darned if I know - I haven't needed to get around in Chicago for a long time.

Morris Dovey

No! NW line will take you as far as Harvard or Woodstock. Western line takes you to Elgin, maybe a spur to Elburn. Not sure. Woodstock would be the closest to Rockford.

Reply to
Say What?

We had one. What happend to it?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sad story involving unfathomable amounts of greed and stupidity on the part of more participants than just railroads, unions, and government...

[1] Railroad management squeezed their employees a bit too much [2] Railroad employees unionized to protect themselves [3] Unions squeezed railroads a bit too much [4] Government stepped in to regulate the daylights out of all [5] Railroads stopped being profitable [6] Expensive passenger service dropped [7] Costly-to-maintain freight routes dropped [8] Freight business migrates to trucking [9] Freight business falls below critical mass [10] Entire railroad companies expire

Morris Dovey

To perhaps give you a different perspective on the difference between East coast and SoCal transit, consider the following:

Since you live in Fairlawn, NJ, a question.

How long would it take you to travel between Fairlawn and New Haven, CT to say attend classes at Yale?

For many in SoCal, that would be a fairly typical length of commute.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Maybe it's been a long time since you made that trip. It's currently a

20-hour train ride from Chicago to NY. If you have a "roomette", it runs $482 one way. I have family in San Antonio, TX. I've looked into taking the train with my wife and our 2 little ones. It would take 32+ hours and cost about $1600 round trip with the "family bedroom". I can fly for about half that. I wouldn't mind the time so much, but I can't pay double just for the pleasure.

todd

Reply to
todd

What would be different? Why would a hurricane or flood care what race it chose for victims? While major media did play the race card facts pretty much didn't support it...death counts certainly didn't .....in fact much of the initial wildly exaggerated claims for 10,000 or more dead and many of the horror stories from the shelters were all bullshit as well.... but when honest accountability gets in the way of a dramatic story why wreck it? The initial system failure was all local including the re-elected black mayor. That some hospitals or nursing homes were not evacuated is certainly of local responsibility. That thousands choose to ignore the warnings and did not leave rests solely with the individual as well. Further since the city had a black majority and white deaths were not proportionate to their population one might claim some white discrimination.

The FEDs are not ever first responders, nor constitutionally can they be, at least if it involves the military.

Best case scenario ....when a city of a half of million, has nearly 80% housing stock flooded.... realistically what could anyone do logistically that would have made much difference in that first week or so that wasn't done?......It does beg the question of why anyone thinks a major disaster is painless and a not inconvenient. Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

What is with this steady race drumbeat?.......The state is only 1/3 minority...does this mean that the 2/3 white population is somehow deprived racially as well?

Incidentally Louisiana earns a billion and half annually from Gulf oil/natural gas royalties, maybe some of that windfall should be put to proper use. Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

And yet in your rant in spite of Bush's grave incompetence you failed to provide a single fact.......Reality a bit hard for you? Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo