Home Depot Plywood Quality

I in Balto as well. The last batch of HD oak ply I bought (about 5 sheets) was horrible. Thin veneer as you said, but it seems to me that the glue is crap. Unacceptable splintering on crosscuts (to the veneer) and wonderful suprise voids. Recently I used Freestate Timbers for solid hardwood. Who do you use for quality hardwood plywood?

Dave - Parkville

Reply to
DLB

I started noticing fuel Surcharges when fuel prices hit the $1.50 mark 45 or so years ago. USP and Orkin started adding it to the bills.

Reply to
Leon

It's paint grade. Shellac isn't the only favorite finish on this ng.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Really? Gas was a buck and a half a gallon in 1962??

Reply to
Doug Miller

Mike,

In my case, I knew I was buying lower quality at $40 sheet for oak plywood. I was making a base for a workbench (someone gave me a solid core door). I knew the veneer was thin, but this was OK for my purpose. The biggest problem I had was with the glue holding the veneer on. It seemed weak and I think contributed to the chipping on the cross cuts. All in all my base is fine. The quality was just lower than low. (not to mention the crappy looking dark wood mixed in with the plys - but as you said, I saw that when I bought it)

Dave

Reply to
DLB

I travel to Canada almost every month, trust me, I've noticed. Just wish I'd bought $10K in Canadian years ago... The Euro is at an all-time high, the British pound is at a 26 year high, on and on

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Mike,

I guess I figured wood was one of those "non-returnable" items. Like buying anything electrical at an autoparts store. Especially after I have cut it.

In my case, it's not like I have many options. Home Depot or Lowes are about it for cabinet plywood. There used to be a hardwood supplier in town, but they closed down a few years ago. Some of the lumber yards "might" have cabinet ply, but it's not typically out where you can see it. You usually have to pay first, and hope there's something good when you drive back to pick it up.

So, I guess I figured plywood is plywood, and would be about the same everywhere. Like I said, live and learn...

In all fairness, I "did" examine the sheets in the store. I dug through several sheets to find the best three in the stack. But even the "best" had problems. I also didn't notice any real voids in the ply's on the edge. Maybe one or two small ones, but I had no idea the whole sheet was filled with them.

As for the thin veneer, it's not visible to the naked eye. What I "thought" was the veneer layer on each side was actually just another core ply. Even after cutting and intensely examining a small piece, I can't see the veneer layer. It's that thin...

I also had no way of knowing the wood would splinter so badly when crosscut, until I cut into it.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Use a zero clearance plate to support the board right up to the blade. Make two passes. First cut should be a light scratch to score the veneer, followed by a second, full thickness cut. That applies whether you're sawing cheap HD ply or expensive furniture grade.

Reply to
Father Haskell

( I've seen threads go off topic/track - but this one's headed off in some interesting directions - economics, public policy, trans- -portation and land use policy. So let's head off onto foreign policy.)

Ah - the Half Full view. The other way of seeing it is that the US dollar is declining significantly, as is how much of the rest of the world's opinion of the US in terms of our foreign policy.

We, the United States, are a relatively young country and are still learning how to deal with problems. At the moment, we happen to be being led by a child, and a not very bright one at that. Not the best situation to be in when crisis arise (see 911/Afgahnistan/Iraq/Iran/Katrina/Enron/Abrimoff/...) and more on the horizon (global warming/impending energy crisis/culture clash/social security/medical costs/...). We will get over it in time. Please bear with us a bit longer. Sorry about the inconvenience we're causing - we're working on getting back on track. charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

But it's only been since the Reagan years that we've seen multi-trillion dollar debt generated for absolutely nothing.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Yes, but in Europe, they have cars with much, much better gas efficiency so it all comes out in the wash for the most part. Here, we have too many idiots driving gas guzzling SUVs and whining about gas prices. Um... duh?

Reply to
Brian Henderson

There really is no way to have effective mass transit in Southern California without tearing down the entire state and starting over. It just wasn't designed that way. Most of the currently existing mass transit we have runs nearly empty because it just doesn't fulfill the needs of the majority of potential users.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

No shit, eh? Some pundits insist it has to do with fuel costs and exchange rates. I'm thinking multi-million dollar exec bonuses can't help either. Inflation is a dirty word with ANY ruling party. They all want you to think that they have the economy under control. But you can't keep pouring mega-billions into a bonfire and you can't keep printing more to make up for it without causing inflation.

But you know what? It has never, ever been different. The biggest difference is that we have a better, more accurate view of the mess, due to accelerated information sharing.

It is a bit like riding through a sewer in a glass-bottomed boat. Donkey and elephant turds all stink.

Reply to
Robatoy

Precisely. Well put.

Reply to
Robatoy

Seems there may be a change underway.

Trying to use the mass transit system to get someplace in a hurry, is a lost cause at present; however, every time I ride the light rail, it is full, especially the Long Beach run.

Other "commuter" runs are showing an increase in ridership.

Personally, would like to see $10/gal gasoline.

Suddenly, there would be a whole new way of looking at things.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

In some places. Here in Canada, it would have a nasty economic impact because of the huge distances we have to move goods, both imported and for export. It would kill western Canadian farmers.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:260520071229215267%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca:

Don't know whether it would. It might kill a bit of the road and auto industry, but people will need food. Currently (at least here in North Jersey) there is a growing "need" for people to feel good and shop for groceries/veggies/whatever that is grown "nearby". That would impact faraway growers as well, be they West Canadians or Australians. IMHO, things that will reduce petroleum production are good, for very many reasons.

Reply to
Han

Here in Houston we are burdened with these extra long, foul smelling, smoke spewing, articulated buses that'll hold around 100, half full.

In 20 years I don't think I've ever seen one with more than 6 passengers, including the driver.

Then again, it's a matter of priorities around here.

Neither Metro, nor the Houston Independent School District are in the business of transportation or education, as you expect, but instead, in the real estate business ... along with the overriding business of insuring that their employee and management benefits far exceed what the taxpayer, who pays for same, can afford for his/her family.

First things, first, after all.

Reply to
Swingman

Question would be, where would the yield of that huge increase go? Who knows, maybe we can start over and move stuff the efficient way again? Like trains? What's with all them damned trucks on the road?

The farmers could simply say: "If you want this farking grain, come and get it, you asshats!!"

But I'm afraid you're right, Dave... it would kill them first.

On the imported goods front, maybe we'd get off our collective asses and start making our own plywood again?

Reply to
Robatoy

"Swingman" wrote in news:EL6dnd15xfcA48XbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

In NY City, those buses are NOT foul smelling or smoke spewing (anymore). They are very efficient, since now a single driver can and does haul at least 50% more people. One side effect has been that many bus stops now take up most of a short block on the avenues.

Economically, I can take a bus from 23rd & 1st to 68 & 1st, then a subway from 68 & Lex to Penn station on a single fare ($2 or less). Those crazy routes happen when I need to drop something off uptown before going home.

Reply to
Han