Home Depot Plywood Quality

As an aside, I work for the largest agricultural newspaper in Canada. I understand the resilience of the farmer, but I also understand the market and financial pressures they're under here in the prairies.

I'm not suggesting they'd give up. I'm suggesting they'd be forced into bankruptcy.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:Yao6i.19682$3P3.1535 @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I can walk to the train station in Fair Lawn, NJ (5 min or so), take the train (with a transfer) into Penn Station NY, then take Amtrak to Boston South station. Then it is a single ride on the T to Porter Square, walking distance to my son's place (6 min). The car would be faster if there is not much traffic, but there is no guarantee that will happen. It is more expensive by train, certainly for 2 people, but it is much more relaxing by train. Have you driven through Connecticut lately?

Reply to
Han

sheets closely enough.

I bought about the same kind of plywood as you did last summer. I had two projects in line to do, I thought I could tackle them both lickety split. Wrong! I did the one that didn't require the plywood, I used the MDF I'd bought for the other (oval mirror.) Anyway, I noticed during the construction of the other project, that the sheets of birch veneer plywood curled. There's no way they're flat. Not even close. I was wondering WTF went wrong. Yes, it's in my basement shop, but still, I've got other sheets of veneer plywood that aren't doing that.

I was thinking of going to a traditional lumberyard in the hopes that they'll have plywood that won't curl. Or have the defects you've outlined.

Reply to
George Max

Not all will survive, that's life; however, most can, and $10/gal gasoline is on the horizon, but it won't happen over night.

There is time, but we can't waste it.

Time to start addressing the problem, IMHO.

As the cartoonist Walt Kelly voiced thru his Pogo comic strip, "We have met the enemy, and it is us."

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Trying to compare SoCal transportation requirements with those of the North East corridor of the US is a little like comparing oranges and apples.

SoCal basically consists of basically 6 counties, one of which, San Bernardino, is larger than the entire state of Connecticut.

The population of SoCal is approaching 18 million, which makes it larger than 24 of the 50 US states.

People here drive 100+ miles each way from home to job, every day, for many reasons including either the lack of time it takes or lack of availability of public transportation.

IMHO, SUBSIDIZED public transit is one of those things the gov't should be doing.

The benefits of this type infrastructure are almost to enormous to calculate.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote: | Dave Balderstone wrote: | | > I'm not suggesting they'd give up. I'm suggesting they'd be | forced into > bankruptcy. | | Not all will survive, that's life; however, most can, and $10/gal | gasoline is on the horizon, but it won't happen over night. | | There is time, but we can't waste it. | | Time to start addressing the problem, IMHO.

Hmmm. "Addressing the problem" - does that mean 'talking it to death' or does it mean 'develop a plan and take action'?

Morris Dovey

But FIRST we do a feasibility study to see if the desired path warrants a steering committee in order to fund a research group in order to see if we can synchronise all the lobbies and focus groups to make discoveries to establish re-electabilty. After they write a proposal to investigate the ramifications due to financial and environmental impact of any and all proposals...when we get that all ironed out, it's time to move on to the next big step: we drum up support by printing leaflets which we will hand out at all the White Castle outlets. THEN we develop a plan. As long as it doesn't impact the Slippy-Bellied Snail population and/or the spotted owls. Oh.. and we need to hire some lawyers.

Is that what you mean, Morris?

o=BFo

(tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote: | On May 27, 10:39 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote: | || or does it mean 'develop a plan and take action'? || | But FIRST we do a feasibility study to see if the desired path | warrants a steering committee in order to fund a research group in | order to see if we can synchronise all the lobbies and focus groups | to make discoveries to establish re-electabilty. After they write a | proposal to investigate the ramifications due to financial and | environmental impact of any and all proposals...when we get that all | ironed out, it's time to move on to the next big step: we drum up | support by printing leaflets which we will hand out at all the White | Castle outlets. THEN we develop a plan. As long as it doesn't impact | the Slippy-Bellied Snail population and/or the spotted owls. Oh.. | and we need to hire some lawyers. | | Is that what you mean, Morris? | | o¿o | | (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Tongue in cheek or not, there's enough truth in that to be downright discouraging.

'develop a plan and take action' ::= 'talk it to death'

Morris Dovey

Good question, why do you ask?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote: | Morris Dovey wrote: | || Hmmm. "Addressing the problem" - does that mean 'talking it to || death' or does it mean 'develop a plan and take action'? | | Good question, why do you ask?

Ever the optimist, I keep hoping that "addressing the problem" will mean more than just endlessly (re)specifying the problem.

Robatoy summarized the solution process fairly well and reminded me that it's not that we lack practical solutions, it's that we lack the will to implement.

Morris Dovey

OTOH, there are times when that is *not* a bad idea.

I've seen the result of too many times when someone says, "It's time to quit analyzing and time to *do* something." 9 times out of 10 that

*something* is exactly the wrong thing, but by golly we *did* something! +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Nobody wants to see their ox gored.

As soon as people can see personal gain, it will happen.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Mark & Juanita wrote: | On Sun, 27 May 2007 23:32:03 -0500, "Morris Dovey" | wrote: | || Robatoy wrote: ||| On May 27, 10:39 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote: ||| |||| or does it mean 'develop a plan and take action'? |||| ||| But FIRST we do a feasibility study to see if the desired path ||| warrants a steering committee in order to fund a research group in ||| order to see if we can synchronise all the lobbies and focus ||| groups to make discoveries to establish re-electabilty. After ||| they write a proposal to investigate the ramifications due to ||| financial and environmental impact of any and all ||| proposals...when we get that all ironed out, it's time to move on ||| to the next big step: we drum up support by printing leaflets ||| which we will hand out at all the White Castle outlets. THEN we ||| develop a plan. As long as it doesn't impact the Slippy-Bellied ||| Snail population and/or the spotted owls. Oh.. and we need to ||| hire some lawyers. ||| ||| Is that what you mean, Morris? ||| ||| o¿o ||| ||| (tongue firmly planted in cheek) || || Tongue in cheek or not, there's enough truth in that to be || downright discouraging. || || 'develop a plan and take action' ::= 'talk it to death' | | OTOH, there are times when that is *not* a bad idea. | | I've seen the result of too many times when someone says, "It's | time to quit analyzing and time to *do* something." 9 times out of | 10 that *something* is exactly the wrong thing, but by golly we | *did* something!

So have I - and in nearly every case it's because no one asked: "What's the worst that could happen?"

We might consider: "What's the worst that could happen if we continue to do what we've been doing?" The answer to this question may help us to define the level of risk acceptable in alternative solutions. Let's stipulate that there is no choice without /some/ associated risk.

It's also worth asking if a large problem can be subdivided so as to be solved piecewise, and which of the partial solutions offer no downside.

Morris Dovey

Lew Hodgett wrote: | Morris Dovey wrote: | || Robatoy summarized the solution process fairly well and reminded me || that it's not that we lack practical solutions, it's that we lack || the will to implement. | | Nobody wants to see their ox gored. | | As soon as people can see personal gain, it will happen.

That doesn't bode well. Consider the lessons of Katrina...

Morris Dovey

another one?

todd

Reply to
todd

Public transit is subsidized.....locally each bus ride costs the taxpayer approx. $25.00 but the ticket is about a buck......across the Columbia river in Portland Max (light rail) costs about $40.00 per ride.......with a ticket price of around $2.00. Other than having zero riders at actual cost how does one justify such a subsidy? Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

I shop on a bicycle often, with some thought and planning. With racks, panniers, and/or a big 'ol messenger bag, it's amazing what a cyclist can carry. Every day, I ride 5 miles with my laptop and some papers, dress clothes & shoes, breakfast and fruit, and misc small things (PDA , cell phone, Ipod, watch...) in a messenger bag.

Did you know Steve Knight has used a bicycle with a trailer for wood runs? "Woodshop News" recently did an article about a cabinet shop that bought bikes for interested staff to ride to work.

I use my car and truck for some situations, as "whenever we can" dosen't have to mean *always*. 4x8 sheets, 12' 8/4 planks, 5 gallon lacquer cans, kitty litter, Diet Coke @ 5/12 packs for $10? Yeah, I drive with those. I also drive when it's really freakin' cold, in thunderstorms, or when the roads are snowy or icy.

I don't use the bike for political reasons or simply to save fuel. My clothes or bikes don't have "one less car" written on them and I don't scowl motorists. I like to drive my vehicles from cradle to grave, 2 mile trips are pretty tough on a vehicle. Cycling is fun and good for you, and I can hear the birds and see what's really going in the 'hood. Little kids at the bus stop wave to me. I arrive at work wide awake with a lot less coffee.

By simply seeing 41 year old me doing it, three coworkers now ride to work on a regular basis. One of the guys is 54 and hadn't had a bike since he was a kid. Now he does a 40 mile round trip commute twice a week. I'm the "kid" of the group!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Every time someone starts this "walk or ride a bike" thing, I think, live in Seattle for a year and see how practicle that is.

Reply to
CW

"CW" wrote in news:3Rz6i.10992$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I agree. Be practical. If you have to go to the drugstore around the corner, walk or bicycle. If you have to go to the lumberyard 2 towns over for a few 4x8 sheets, probably take the car!

Reply to
Han

In my quest to find a place to work and grow into, an option to buy a strip-mall with light industrial zoning resulted in having a few meetings with a few 'doers'. The place was simply too big for just lill' ol' me and I wanted to offset my financial commitments. I offered a symbiotic environment to a few small contractors which bolted on to what it is I do. they included a high-end tile merchant and a hardwood flooring installer. We've all know each other for years and felt we had a marvellous opportunity. The property in question had been a water treatment plant for bottled water and some of the stainless tanks were still there, left for scrap. I noticed a little tag dangling from one of the valves which instructed me to get in touch with an agency regarding the 'decommissioning' of installed equipment.

The meetings that ensued could have been straight from a horror movie.... a psychological thriller. Marquis deSade with an MBA and sandals and some training in extortion. He spent an hour with his Powerpoint presentation explaining how incredibly powerful and important he was. He then handed out 10-pound

1000-page questionnaires (ok, I am embellishing a little here) and it went down-hill from there. About an hour later, as I scanned the room, I saw faces looking at me with 'WTF' eyes and it was instantly clear that the meeting had come to an abrupt end. As I snapped my briefcase closed, I heard the simultaneous snapping of the other briefcases, and we were outta there. I thanked the bureaucrat for his time and told him I'd be in touch.

That farktard was going to bury us in bullshit so he could justify his existence. We were there to get going, to get started, roll up sleeves and go nuts...he was there to make sure that wasn't going to happen. Almost a year later, that building is still sitting there... and farktard is wringing his hands looking for somebody who wants to play his game.

Reply to
Robatoy