Home Depot Plywood Quality

On Sat, 26 May 2007 18:37:38 GMT, Han wrote: ...

I'll buy that -- IF you replace "production" with "demand"

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Fri, May 25, 2007, 10:11am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@unknown.com (HerHusband) doth lament: Worst of all, I paid $40 a sheet for this stuff at Home Depot, and then saw MUCH better quality lumber at Lowes (where I normally get my plywood) for only $30 a sheet. Going by your description, the lsst plywood I bought at Lowes, cnstruction grade, for shop projects, was better then what you got, and ran me about $13 a sheet - the good side actually was. I don't shop at Home Depot, period.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Tom Veatch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Of course, that's why we bicycle or walk rather than use the car, whenever we can.

Reply to
Han

I do the same, and only drove to work twice in May. I'm seeing more and more folks out there on bikes! Short trips are the most inefficient, and are actually fun to walk or bike!

The overall MPG on my Tacoma goes up 3+ MPG when I remove most of the trips under a one way distance of 2 miles.

Reply to
B A R R Y

As we all would - based on what makes common sense. I found it quite surprising when I discovered that one could buy something like piece of plywood, and return it once we cut it up, but you sure can.

Hey Anthony - I might have been harsher than I should have been in my reply to your post. I'm sorry for that. It's just that we see posts like yours almost weekly here, and at a point you begin to think that no-one should be surprised by what they get in a piece of plywood at THD at this point.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

B A R R Y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Although it is under 20 miles from home to work (07410 to 23rd Str & First Ave), I'm not about to brave NY City traffic on my bike. Seen too many near misses and a few not misses, which generally do not favor the bicycle rider

Reply to
Han

I hear that!

The only time I ride NYC is during the 5 Boro Bike Tour, on closed roads.

One year, I took MNCRR in from New Haven, had a beautiful ride from GCT to Battery Park at 6 AM, a great day of touring, and a HELL RIDE back to GCT ~ 3 PM. And that was on a Sunday! Now, if I take the train in with the bike, I'll use the subway to get to Battery Park.

We usually use the subway to get around when visiting, but one of these days I need to learn the bus system. The bus would be so much faster when I have to change trains or do the marathon walk in Times Square Station. I like the newer trains with the electric station maps, working A/C, and automated announcements.

NYC has a such an excellent mass transit system, I'd also leave the bike home during commuting hours.

Reply to
B A R R Y

B A R R Y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Never got my act together to do any part of the bike tour . Bus maps are free at Grand Central somewhere, most likely at a subway ticket booth. Sometimes, the problem with buses is the choked up traffic, and a subway ride is faster then, depending on a lot.

For those unfamiliar with the NY City system, everything is Metrocard nowadays (or cash in coins on the bus, where you can get a free transfer if you ask).

A single fare is good on the whole subway system plus a busride, or on 2 separate busrides. A transfer is implied when you validate the metrocard, and is good for departure on the next trip within 2 hours of starting the first. Metrocard validation only occurs when entering bus or subway.

Reply to
Han

Yeah. My bad. 3.4%.

Reply to
HeyBub

The US has been fighting the War on Terror for over 5 years and has lost just over half the soldiers in battle as the Clinton Administration was losing during peacetime in 8 years.

In five years of the WOT, the US has lost about 3800 soldiers, from all causes (hostile action, training, accidents, homicide, disease, suicide, etc.), during wartime. In 8 years of the previous administration, the US lost 7,500 active duty military personell.

HeyBub

HeyBub wrote: | Doug Miller wrote: || In article , "HeyBub" || wrote: ||| Morris Dovey wrote: |||| Actually, most Americans /do/ know it. If you look at it from the |||| outside, then the dollar is in the tank - and when you look at it |||| from the inside, then the cost of everything bought with dollars |||| is skyrocketing. Either way, it's the same inflation. ||| ||| Uh, no. The current inflation rate of about 34% compares favorably ||| with the || ^^^ || Isn't there supposed to be a decimal point in there somewhere? | | Yeah. My bad. 3.4%.

You missed the point (I wasn't comparing inflation rates, rather perspectives of people inside the US vs people outside the US)

I'm not interested in arguing with your statistics - what I'm experiencing is nothing like 3.4% - but that may only reflect a difference between the way the number is produced and my real world spending.

[ The majority of my spending is for clear hardwood, plywood, glue, solar glazing, stock aluminum extrusions, stainless steel screws, carbide cutting tools, OTR shipping, and the usual gasoline, electricity, phone/dsl, natural gas, rent, and groceries. ]

I wish /I/ were seeing your 3.4% - and (probably) so do my customers.

Morris Dovey

No problem, I realize I'm part of the overall problem. Haste makes waste, afterall... :)

But I appreciate your apology. These days it seems like newsgroups in general have turned into an F-U mentality, so it's refreshing to see a little common courtesy. Thanks!

Take care,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Rod,

I'm out in the Camas area, so they're not exactly "local", but the last time I went to Shurway (over in Portland about 15-20 years ago) they were mostly a salvage operation. I didn't realize they were carrying new stuff now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

A strong Canadian dollar is not good for the economy. They are saying it has cost 250,000 jobs to date, with another 250,000 jobs if it goes par. The city of Toronto has many problems with trying to favour many groups and not doing any of it well. Hotels are not earning much profit with the scarcity of tourists, so they are not paying so much on business tax. The city is way undertaxed compared to the 905 area. I see every day people who used to complain that their property taxes doubled during re-evaluation, so now they are paying $2000.00 in property taxes instead of $1000.00, where houses in the suburbs are paying $4000.00 for houses with the same evaluation. The differences are still apparent.

Enough said, this is a thread about rising costs for wood products while quality is going down in the US, not about Toronto's mismanagement of money.

Reply to
EXT

On May 27, 2:13 pm, "EXT" wrote: [schnipperectomized]

My company sold and installed quite a few solid surface countertops in Michigan when the exhange was $1.55. I was getting full margins and the US customer had a built-in fabulous discount. I haven't done any serious business in Michigan for 2 years now. I do get a break buying stuff in Michigan for my business and personal use.

Reply to
Robatoy

Michigan is an economic basket case. And there is a move afoot to raise taxes even more.

Poor Michigan. Shame, really.

Reply to
HeyBub

While I have no need to ever use public transit, especially since everything I ever need is local, it's really irrelevant. However, I can think of two examples where it might have been useful and was completely worthless.

Last year, we were going down to San Diego and looked into taking the train down. It was much, much more expensive to take the train than it was to drive and the only way to even get to a train that was going that way was to drive 60 miles down into Orange County, leave our car somewhere I wouldn't park if my life depended on it and hope nobody vandalized it. Then I would have had to pay for bus or taxi service in San Diego the whole weekend since ht train station is nowhere near where we were going and it would have cost 2-3x as much as driving in the end. Is this supposed to be reliable, useful public transportation?

Secondly, my best friend was teaching at Cal State Fullerton. He would have taken the Metrorail to work but they stop running at 6pm, long before he'd be heading home. The only way to take the train would have left him stranded every night with no way to get home. It is faster, cheaper and more convenient to drive.

No, it still wouldn't make public transit any more convenient or even possible for anyone. It would just make things more expensive.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Which doesn't help when you go shopping, does it? You can't carry groceries for a family on your bicycle, much less trying to carry a dozen 4x8 sheets of plywood on your back. This is the woodworking newsgroup after all. :)

Reply to
Brian Henderson

As someone once said, "There are no problems, only varying degrees of challenging opportunities".

It is the opportunities that need to be exploited.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Brian Henderson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Since beer is appropriate for this newsgroup , I'll mention we carried a 12 pack on the bike. It is resting now before we use the car and take it (them) to a birthday party tomorrow.

(while originally Dutch, I'm not a beer connoisseur.)

Reply to
Han