Home Depot Plywood Quality

spewing, articulated buses that'll >hold around 100, half full.

passengers, including the driver.

Witnessed that myself on many a time. But I always thought the billows of unburned fuel were to help with the mosquito population.. no?

The only time I saw a lot of folks on public transportation there in Houston was when they opened the downtown rail. Jeez... I remember how hard some fought that. I was actually there when they ticketed a lady and towed her car because she parked on the tracks and wouldn't move her car - not even for the train.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Certainly would change how we look at things. Now the government screws us, with the extra revenue fro $10 gas, they can royally screw us. FREE MONEY, grab all you can.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

SNIP

is that we have a better, more >accurate view of the mess, due to accelerated

elephant turds all stink.

Well said. I absolutely couldn't agree more. It is stupid beyond all description to think that governmental waste and stupidity is something new.

And with our political party system, it is hard to tell one from the other these days as they will tell you anything you want to hear to get elected and stay in office.

They all suck, it just depends on how you want your poison.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

snip

If I recall your local to me (Vancouver area).....have you ever tried Shurway(on St. Johns rd)?.....they have quite a selection of hardwood ply (lots), hardwood lumber and other interesting odds and ends. Prices seem competitive and even sometimes low. I haven't bought full sheets lately but last fall they had stacks of 2ft by 4ft birch panels (less than $8.00 ea) that worked great for a few small projects.....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Not really....the massive trade deficit will do that.....tis a function of floating currency values. As we import massive quantities of expensive oil, Natural gas, Chinese everything etc. other countries can only hold on to so much U.S. currency before the relative currency value goes down. Imports may cost more but American products become more competitive and U.S. jobs increase....In fact our deficit spending keeps relative currency values from plummeting further since exporters buy our "notes" with their excess U.S. currency.......Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

| What most Americans don't know is that the US currency is in the | toilet. I run a Canadian company which has 99% of its income in US | dollars. Our revenue is up but when converted to Canadian dollars | it becomes less than years before. I used to get $1.60 Canadian for | every one US dollar, now I only get $1.08 per US dollar and the | experts say that the two currencies will be par by year end.

Actually, most Americans /do/ know it. If you look at it from the outside, then the dollar is in the tank - and when you look at it from the inside, then the cost of everything bought with dollars is skyrocketing. Either way, it's the same inflation.

What most Americans don't seem to recognize is that it's all happening in a completely predictable "cause and effect" sequence, and that the current level of inflation is merely a gentle introduction...

| This means that whatever you bought a couple of years ago that was | imported, now it is going to cost you almost 50% more today because | the other currencies in the world have not dropped as much as the | US dollar.

It's not just imported goods - the cost of doing business in the US is being affected and the cost of domestic goods is on the same track as imported goods. It's just a little further back on the train because a lot of American businesses are dragging their feet on raising prices.

There's not much good anywhere in the picture. As the US dollar drops relative to other currencies, Americans will necessarily cut back on their purchases of imported goods - leaving exporters with excessive inventory, excessive capacity, and excessive employment. Worse, or at least as bad, obligations payable in US dollars will be paid in devalued currency (which you're already experiencing).

| Home Depot, Wal-Mart and many others compensate by buying even | cheaper crap so that the price doesn't go up, that is why the | plywood is now pure junk.

That can only be carried so far. At some point the merchandise becomes so crappy that no one wants to buy it, the prices are forced up anyway to the point where the merchandise becomes unaffordable, and the commercial structure needs to be rebuilt.

About then some damn political cowboy will come along and tell us: "Hey! War is _good_ for business."

Morris Dovey

On May 26, 3:02 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote: [schnipferizectomy]

No different here in Canuckistan. But that blantant sell-out of the Dems, for a paltry 20 billion in pork, so they could give Chimp his 100 billion is extortion, pure and simple. I let you have 20 if you give me my 100. That Pelosi is as big a piece of shit as that DeLay was. As long as it costs half a billion to get elected POTUS, big business will always dictate who it is going to be. That is especially handy these days with corruptable electronic voting machines. This will go on and on and on. So will the attempts to take away the right to bear arms..can't have the serfs too pissed, you know...

But... maybe 100 years from now our children's children will have their own Bastille Day.

And just because I want to help the poor, that doesn't disqualify me from drawing a bead on the first fool who wants to send my kids off to a foreign land to fetch some oil for the governor's Hummer.

I'll take mine from a tap at the pub. Freedom through death, one pint at the time..(I'll be 100)

Reply to
Robatoy

Don't be too smug until you've sawed it. I bought about 20 sheets of

1/2" ---haha, 7/16" from Menards and at least half the sheets had SEVERE delamination INSIDE where you couldn't see it without sawing!!!

Their A7 (or is it A9?) siding wasn't any better.

When I complained, they said "that's the way it is", but did give me part of the money back. Of course that doesn't make up for the 50 mile round trips and the extra labor. I thought they'd at least tell me that they'd get back to the mfr and see that it didn't happen again.

Pete Stanaitis

Dave wrote:

Reply to
spaco

On May 25, 5:10 pm, Mike in Arkansas wrote: ...

Reply to
dpb

Uh, no. The current inflation rate of about 34% compares favorably with the inflation rate of 2000-06 of 2.45%, 1990-99 of 3.0%, and 1980-89 of 5.55%.

"Skyrocketing" ocurred during the Carter years: 1970-79 7.09%

Very gentle. Productivity, GDP, and personal income all exceed inflation.

Nothing bought two years ago costs 50% more today (except maybe energy). Not steel, aluminum, grain, manganese, or manufactured goods.

This has never happened in the past, but your predictions of economic mayhem are just as valid as other economists.

Well, it is. GDP increased 26% from 2000 to 2005 ($9.8 to $12.4 trillion) or about $3,000 per person in constant 2000 dollars.

This, coupled with a net saving in military lives*, makes war a win-win scenario.

====

*Fewer military deaths in six years of Afghanistan/Iraq war than in 8 years of the previous administration's peace years.
Reply to
HeyBub

Excuse me?

Reply to
Robatoy

That would require Parliament to do something. Fat chance.

And there's a shortage of something like 30,000 drivers in Canada...

That would be a good thing. There are a whole lot of mills that would restart.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

How so? You do know the individual limit on campaign contribution is just a thousand or two, corporations can't officially buy their way in.... although speech, book and Presidential libraries do allow rewards beyond oversight.......The media's favorite candidate does get a leg up on the process(free & biased coverage) but often as not the voters reject the chosen darling

Agreed....Without a paper trail it is not a question of if but rather when.

Our state has moved to "mail ballots only" of which is as bad .....Even worse we lose a sense of community and patriotism.....Our family including the grown kids would gather prior to a election to discuss issues and candidates then troop down in mass to vote together (same district)......when the youngest came of age we documented the vote with pictures and a voting pizza party

Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

If you can't think of ways around that, you're not thinking very hard.

Reply to
CW

a tiny yuppie filled feel good niche.....The other 80% depend on the efficient farm or the norm.....Incidentally even local farms require lots of fuel for tractors and equipment .......Transportation of crops to the market accounts for a tiny slice.

That

The Sierra club would be proud however sloppy thinking is still slop .....personal affordable transportation based on oil has done more for the "everyday man" than almost any other 20th century invention.......The freedom for work, play and life necessities would fill volumes. The very fact that virtually all alternatives require massive subsidies often as not from oil itself to become remotely viable tells volumes....we have to make a "good thing" pay for those things "not so good'...doesn't this beg the question of why? Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

^^^ Isn't there supposed to be a decimal point in there somewhere?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Funny how our great Canadian dollar is worth so much, yet our mayor David Miller of Toronto, Canada's largest city is crying how Toronto is broke. He is and will be taxing everything in sight including stuff like putting a10% tax on all purchased beer and alcohol.

American currency may or may not be in the toilet, but what good is a strong Canadian dollar when our government literally taxes us into the poor house, effectively taking away any advantage to the ordinary citizen?

Reply to
Upscale

I covered that under "speech, book and Presidential libraries" nonetheless the $100-200 million or whatever directly raised for a presidential election is from "small" contributors.....without this support it is not going to happen .... not to mention that most "big business" contribute to both parties to hedge their bets. Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

You know, I doubt that.

What you are suggesting is that the way of life of the Canadian grain farmer would be put in peril, and they would just give up and quit farming.

When the human animal's survival is attacked, they can be very resourceful and adaptable.

My money would be on the farmers.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett