Harbor Freight Variable Speed Multitool- $50

email flier has a coupon for fiddy bucks for the HF multitool VARIABLE Speed version.

-MIKE-

email flier has a coupon for fiddy bucks for the HF multitool VARIABLE Speed version.

-MIKE-

the VS was mostly for sanding and I have lots of sanders..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I've often wondered myself why a variable speed would be necessary other than sanding. Like you, I also have a few sanders which do the job. Anyone care to offer insight to why variable speed cutting would be necessary elsewhere?

Reply to
SBH

"SBH" wrote

Doesn't the variable speed model have a more secure way of holding the blades? Is the motor the same power?

It could just be that it is a copy of the Feon. If Fein did it. so would HF.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Perhaps if you are being paid by the hour...

Reply to
salty

Fein has a totally different locking mechanism for securing the blades. The HF uses a simple socket head screw that requires and allen wrench, while Fein has a quick release lever.

Reply to
salty

As per the discussions on this group, the VS model has a much better way of securing the blades. That may be worth the $15 difference.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Not according to the manual. It has the same socket head screw setup as the original single speed model.

Fein has a completely different blade mounting system that does not require any tools. It uses a cam and a locking lever.

Reply to
salty

Also has several other advantages:

  1. Better ergonomics
  2. Comes with a nice case
Reply to
blueman

If that case is designed well, it would be worth the extra 15 to me.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Here's a post from the discussion I was referring to:

Quality looks good. In particular, in addition to adding variable speed it seems to have "solved" some of the complaints with the earlier model, including:

- Raised 'dots' that engage with holes in the attachments, allowing for positive locking of the attachment which prevents the slipping that reportedly plagued the regular model which needed the screw to be wrenched down real tight to avoid slipping

- Pretty quiet -- quieter than a pad sander

- More ergonomic shape

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The single speed unit have that, now.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Interesting - the HF Website lists this tool for $39.99 with a regular price of 59.99 This is the URL -

coupon is listed as good from the 15th to the 21st.

I have been considering this tool or the King I'm just a home woodworker and would be using it as a for renos and whatever, It would get only occasional use.

Are there any owners who can comment on either?

Reply to
Matt

Using coupons and a "tent sale," today I got the single speed model for $35 less 20%. There are raised bumps to hold attachments securely, despite having to use the hex head screw. FWIW, the few times I will use the tool, this is fine. The $ 80 version was also on sale today with a coupon for $50, but I opted for the cheap one due to the anticipated low usage.

Reply to
Nonny

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:13:16 -0700, the infamous "Nonny" scrawled the following:

Good choice, but you you'll find out just how wrong you are on the "low usage" of that thing. They're addicting.

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 3/15/2010 6:59 PM Matt spake thus:

Yes; check the Harbor Freight Reviews site:

this review:

David Nebenzahl

It would have to be a LOT better for me to justify almost 1/3 more on the price.. I've been abusing the hell out of mine and have no trouble changing blades and haven't had one loosen on me since the first time I used it, when I was going to easy on the allan wrench..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Just being quieter would be a big factor for me.. Mine sounds like a hair clipper on steroids..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I bought the $34 model at harbor Freight and I'm very impressed with it.. I'm primarily a turner but bought this just to prove to myself that a sander with a blade attached to it couldn't cut wood.. WRONG!

It's earned it's keep just in the 5 or 6 times that friends have come over and I showed them simple plunge cuts with this beast..

Get one, it's a great tool..