Grizzley G0555

I'm fairly new to woodworking and have been lurking here for almost a year. I just bought a Griz G0555 bandsaw with the riser block. Although the reviews here in the ng were mixed, in all they seemed positive.

My problem is with getting everything lined up to make a straight cut. It seems that no matter what I do, the workpiece wanders from the fence. It seems that the only way I can get close to a straight cut is to draw a line and freehand it. I am using a 3/4" 6 hook blade that was purchased from Grizzley.

Can someone provide a step-by-step procedure for properly setting up the saw?

I have some black walnut logs (24" dia x 24 to 36" long) that I have quartered and am trying to cut into usable lumber to make a coffee table and some end tables.

thanks,

WoodChuck

Reply to
WoodChuck

You need to match the fence to the drift of the blade. Draw you line and freehand a cut. About 1/3 the way through, stop and measure the angle of the board with a bevel. Recheck it a few times as you finish the board. Then, make the fence match that same angle.

Reply to
Rob

I ordered the saw last Monday evening and picked it up at the shipper's dock and assembled it Wednesday. I played with it Wed and Thur nights. So far this is the only blade I have tried. I did run through the setup instructions that came with the saw, but I must be missing something!

Reply to
WoodChuck

Bandsaws are a PITA to setup. Most likely you have not done anything wrong or "missed" something. From my experience, it seems that you can put several hours into your saw getting the blade to cut perfectly square to the fence, only to find that if you don't get the blade tension exactly the same every time or you change blade type and sizes, then you have to repeat the entire squaring process again. My suggestion would be to get your saw up and running and spend your time fine tuning any vibration out of your tool. Then use the technique of freehand sawing a board and measuring the angle and adjust your fence accordingly. It's much easier to adjust the fence angle to the blade track than it is to get the blade to track square to the fence.

Now, for slicing boards off a log (resawing), you want to use a wide resawing blade, in fact, the widest your saw can handle. The wider blade will assist in making a long, straight, clean cut. Also, blade quality makes a BIG difference. Invest in a good quality blade - you won't regret it. Search the Google archives for tons of info on bandsaw blades and resawing.

unreasonable.

Reply to
David P

I agree with the above except once you are 1/3 the way through the test board shut off the saw without moving the board. Set your adjustment on the fence for drift by setting it to the board. Then lock the fence and continue the cut against the fence. It should track down the line. You have to do this for every blade change but it simple and quick.

Bob T

Reply to
rllipham

I got my Griz a few months ago with the same setup you have. I did two things right away - bought several Olsen blades ( or Timberwolf if you prefer) and bought a replacement spring to handle the 3/4" blade. I got the spring from Iturra Designs - about $16 but well worth the effort.

Have had little problems cutting a straight line using the fence. The smallest blade I've used is 3/8 but that tracks fine also.

From a lot of what I've read, the quality of the blade makes a big difference in the tracking.

HTH,

vgb

Reply to
Vic Baron

WoodChuck, these are the blades I purchased from Suffolk Machinery, TimberWolf Blades, for that very saw and the riser kit. They were recommended for resawing 10" or so, scroll type work such as bandsaw boxes etc and general small work, in that order. I may eventually add a 1/2" to use in the general category. Order from Suffolk is by phone only and they will ask your application needs and recommend the blade. I let them do and so far am very satisfied with the blades. . .and the price! Hope this helps.

1 ea 3403AS, 3/4" x 105"(3AS-S .025") 1 ea 14046PC, 1/4" x 105"(6PC .025) 1 ea 31604PC, 3/16" x 105"(4PC .025)

Total about $61 shipped. They cut magnificently! I do not get the drift some here speak of. I have yet to try the 3/4" blade. I have my blade adjusted so the teeth ride up to the center of the tire

Reply to
SwampBug

Thanks group!! With your help and suggestions, things went much better today. I am certainly going to invest in a couple of high quality Blades.

Thanks again.

WoodChuck

Reply to
WoodChuck

WoodChuck: Pick up Mark Duginske's "Band Saw Handbook." It's a bible you'll want.

Harley

Reply to
Harley

I found your problem. Get a new blade. I recommend either the Suffolk Timberwolf blade

the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

I have the Grizzly 1019 saw. When I first got the saw I was using the Grizzly blades. After trying everything in Mark Duginske's "The Bandsaw Handbook" (recommended), out of frustration I called Grizzly's tech support. After explainingg the problems I was having, Grizzly's tech rep stated "you'd do much better buying your blade elsewhere". He was right.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova