bandsaw blade life

Why would a blade that is cutting perfectly, suddenly, mid cut, just refuse to cut? Does a bandsaw blade usually go from sharp to dull and nothing in between? This is my first experience with a bandsaw. I just got a new griz G0555 ( see yesterday's post - Grizzley G0555) got it all set-up and cutting well, thanks to the input from the group.

I bought a TimberWolf 1/2" 3 tpi blade this morning and was just tickled pink about it's performance. I cut black walnut almost continuously for about 2 hours, when suddenly, the darned thing refused to cut any more. I stopped, checked everything. and tried again. Doesn't cut now. I was cutting quarter sawing lumber from a fallen tree. The tree was down for over a year and was still somewhat wet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

WoodChuck

Reply to
WoodChuck

Have you checked the last cut to see if you hit some metal? A nail? A piece of wire? Even a bullet? That would do it, and it can be a problem with fallen trees. harrym

Reply to
HarryM

I don't imagine a hunk of lead (i.e. a bullet) would hurt a blade, but a nail sure would.

Reply to
Roy Smith

I think I found out what happened. Keep in mind that i now have 4 days experience with a bandsaw.

it seems that i failed to tighten the thumbscrew that locks the side roller guides in place. the vibration caused the guide to move forward until it moved into the path of the teeth. It seems to have flattened the sides of the blade and removed the rakers(?).

i learned a $31 lesson today.

WoodChuck

Reply to
WoodChuck

But what if it was a silver bullet, Kimosabe?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ouch. How about a $15 lesson? Buy direct from Suffolk machine and save. While you are at it, get a 1/4" blade and be prepared for other cutting. You can find their phone number off their web site. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Got to second Ed's advice. Get a 10tpi 1/4" blade (or two). It'll probably be your most used blade. Very versatile. Also get some of those plastic zero clearance table inserts. The metal one that came with my used BS was a bit chewed up. Once when I was sawing I noticed the saw teeth digging into the skewed metal insert dulling the saw teeth.

Layne

Reply to
Anonymous

Reply to
Bob Bowles

It means that masked man kills werewolves.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick