Re: Band Saw Search Leads to Confusion

I am looking into band saws too. I also would like a large resaw capacity so I can make my own quarter sewn lumber from logs I gather myself. I have just about decided a laguna is the way to go. I called them after looking at their web site and the guy sent me a video that was very convincing. They now have a 14 inch with a 12 inch resaw capacity for around $1000, but, the sales person told me the 16hd was the most popular ($1800). It has the same resaw capacity (12 inch) , is italian made (the 14s are also european made but not italian and not quite as heavy duty), and is more powerful. The 16hd is the one used for demos on the video tape they sent me. On the video the guy makes a perfect slice of oak laminate off what appears to be a 10 inch thick block of oak. He also slices a log on the video. If your looking for quality I would definitly give the laguna a look. The other saw I was looking at was the Delta 14 with the extension for more resaw capacity.

After several weeks of searching the Internet and speaking to store people > about band saws, I have come to the conclusion that I am more confused than > when I started my research. I am looking for a band saw with a relatively > large size resaw capacity (10"+) and 1 1/2 to 2 HP. Quality of product is > important. How important should the following considerations be in my > decision-making and which products do you recommend: > 1. Made in U.S. or Tiawan > 2. Cast iron wheels or aluminum > 3. Open/Closed base > 4. Blade changing procedure > 5. Customer help > 6. Quiet vs. noisy machine > 7. Safety factors addressed > 8. Overall high quality materials and workmanship. > 9. HP factor > 10. Machine integrity and stability > > Right now, I am considering the Jet 16-18; the Delta 28-231, 28-241, > 28-299A; the General 90-260. I want to buy a machine that is built with good > parts, workmanship, and design (don't we all). I am far from being an expert > in this area so any help I can get will be appreciated.. > > > >
Reply to
Marc

"Dan Shea" wrote in news:nRvRa.105858$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net:

Above those items, I think I'd be looking at:

strength and rigidity of column (you'll have a wide blade with a lot of tension if you're resawing)

quality and location of guides (you've got a lot of unsupported blade if you're resawing 10" or more)

quality & strength of table trunnions (a long thick board being resawn is a lot of weight on the table)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:34:43 GMT, "Dan Shea" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

taiwan is fine, US is alright too...all of the 14" BS's are made in the same plant

Cast iron

6 of one, half dozen of the other. that's asthetics as far as i am concerned

does that really matter?

jet, delta, grizz all good. YMMV

they all make noise. if they make too much noise something is wrong with it. . .wear hearing protection if it makes you feel safer

guards are guards, , ,pretty standard on all of them

most of them are made in the same plant, just get different paint and stickers see question #1

1HP should be fine

see question #8

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Here is a video-article from Fine Woodworking regarding what to look for in a bandsaw.

I found interesting involved access to the motor in open vs.closed stands.

Reply to
WoodJunkie

I am also looking for a bandsaw with similar objective. Anyone like to comment or advice buying a Grizzles's bandsaw?

Reply to
WD

Reply to
Steven Bliss

A little input:

Workbench Magazine (April 2002) gave Editor's Choice awards to the Delta 28-280 and the Jet JWBS-14CS. The Delta got noted for being the best built and had the best resawing score of the group; it was also $200 more than the Jet. Both can take riser blocks to boost resaw capacity.

Wood Magazine (October 2002) scored the Laguna LT14 a little higher than the Delta 28-293, but they dinged the Laguna for lack of ease in adjusting the blade guides. Also, they noted the Delta was being replaced by the 28-241 which bumped up the horsepower and fixed "the guidepost problem." The updated open-stand version is the 28-231.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Reply to
woodworker.delete-this

Having just purchased a Jet i can give you a few ideas.

First if your going to do a serious amount of resaw work do not get any of the 14" saws. They do not handle a wide enough blade to do resaw well. I made this item first because you seemed to be concerned about resaw capacity.

Again if resaw is a big part of your targeted usage go for a 1.5 to 2 HP motor.

Since we have already elminated the 14" models the issue with the open or clsed bases is more limited. Most of the larger saws are sheet metal steel unitized steel frames. The bigger concern might be how high the table is off the floor.

I went with the Jet for one reason - price! It happens to be the 16" model. In my estimation the machine is fairly well contructed considering the money outlayed. It is not however to be confused with industrial quality, but may be useful in smaller commercial shops.

The biggest issues I have specifically with the Jet are how the table is squared with the blade and the quality of the manual. The manual was down right pathetic. So bad in fact that I would not reccomend the saw if another manufacture deomonstrated a better manual. The saw itself does perform well though, but I believe the manual is as much a part of the pacakge as the mechanics.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
David A. Frantz

I'd buy this one:

wait, I already did. It's a great saw, well built, plenty of power, made in the USA!

Reply to
Phil Anderson