Good bye

Just thought I would say good bye to many of you that I have conversed with over the years. First on the rec, then on the binaries for quite a few years, then back to the rec.

I have been paying to keep my old email, and newsgroup service. They are now discontinuing the newsgroups on Apr 1st. And I have been using this less and less. There seems to be less worth lately, and I just can't justify picking up a newsgroup only for the little use I have.

Thanks for putting up with my Phillips bulb rants, or whenever I got ripped off.

There has been over the years some really good info, some comrade-re, some really good arguments..

I'm on lumberjocks username woodchuckernj ... I don't do much on there , but I do check in to see what people are building.

I have enjoyed our time together. I'll be around until the 31st. Then I'm gone.

Reply to
woodchucker

As long as you have the internet, you have Google Groups. Free and available on any device.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Just in case you reconsider - I've used a free usenet service < no binaries > since my internet provider dropped news groups ~ 12 years ago - and I have no complaints at all. news.aioe.org My online email service - which I use as a back-up and spam collector is also quite acceptable - gmx.com. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Thanks, I may check that out.

Reply to
woodchucker

There is alway home owners hub

Reply to
Markem

Also check out news.eternal-september.org

You can download Mozilla Thunderbird (free) and use the above server (also free) for your participating pleasure or to simply check in from time to time. I've been using it for many years.

Regardless, Good luck to you.

Reply to
Meanie

I'm using

It's fee based, but not by the month, you buy non-expiring blocks of downloading. $5.00 will get you 10 gigabytes. (5gb for $3, 50gb for $12, 100gb for $15, 200gb for $22) If you're not downloading binary files, 10gb could last you for years.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Eternal September provides free non-binary newsgroup access and it works pretty well. Did I mention that it is free?

John McGaw

With the options folks laid out you will be back so I'll not say goodbye. ;~)

All the best!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Noooooooooooo Mr Bill Noooooooooooo

Reply to
woodchucker

:-)

Reply to
woodchucker

I recently switched over to astraweb.com, paying $10 for a 25GB block w/no expiration date. I was concerned it might be slower than newsguy.com, but it feels faster. $10.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news:WOYsC.14380$ snipped-for-privacy@fx29.iad:

I'm with Astraweb too. I gave them $25 for 90 GB 10 years ago, and still have 85 GB left. You're not going to use up 25GB quickly at all. No complaints about the service.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Like DerbyDad, I am went to Googe Groups after my ISP dropped newsgroups. I actually like it almost as well as the newsgroup server I was on.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I have been using Google Groups since they bought Deja News! No telling how long ago that was, but has to be about 15 years. Never any problems, but like most newsgroups, no pics.

Since it is easier and more reliable to post a link to a product or a link to a picture anyway, that hasn't slowed anything down.

Oh, yeah... free to use, too.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Also checkout eternal-september.org

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

+1 I looked high and low after former provider did away with the plan I was on ($2.99/mo for AYCE). Found Astraweb, bought 25 gb and never looked back. Think I've found it down maybe twice in three years. Rock solid and good retention. Found some postings about rail splitting penned by some guy named Abraham Lincoln. ;)
Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Giganews is also a possiblity

Reply to
Markem

thought this place was like a roach motel

in here preposterous

what about the phillips bulbs the led or the flourescent

is that short for lumber jockey or is it a play on words for lumberjack but more amateur

or is it a reference to someone that is a jock but not in sports but instead lumber

or maybe they wear wooden jocks

or maybe lumberjack domain was taken already

or maybe it is a frenchish word but for english speakers

lumberjacque becomes lumberjock

Reply to
Electric Comet