Planer or sander

I'm contemplating the purchase of a bench top planer. After looking around for a used machine, I often thought about a vertical drum sander instead. Obviously, I know the difference between the two but they basically do the same thing. Therefore, seeking the sage advice, could I get by with a sander instead of a planer?

Reply to
Meanie

Nope.

Reply to
hubops

"Get by?" Sure; you've gotten by w/o either so for, right?

As for how satisfactorily, that's another question and mostly dependent upon what you intend to actually try to do. Starting w/ roughsawn from the mill without milling will be the death of the sander in short order unless you invest in serious industrial unit and then you'd be having to switch belt grits to do rough "planing" to finish sanding.

If you only use surfaced material and don't need to change actual stock dimensions significantly, "maybe"...

Reply to
dpb

A vertical sander?

A horizontal drum sander performs a similar function as a planer.

Before any one can advise you on which to get you must first tell us why you want either one.

Reply to
Leon

I meant horizontal.

Main reason is to even out the "plane" after gluing boards together for a larger piece.

Reply to
Meanie

I've gotten by because I haven't done major projects. I'm still, IMO, amateur status. I want to expand to bigger projects and I think it'll be advantageous to have, though, you bring up good points about the workload and lifespan of the sander.

Reply to
Meanie

I've "gotten by" like that for the last quarter century.

I buy only rough lumber and I have no desire for a planer. Yes, skinnying down a board on a horizontal drum sander takes longer but not all that much and you wind up with a perfectly smooth, undinged board. It is great for getting rid of lippage on glued up panels not to mention the considerable utility in being able to gang sand numerous narrow boards on edge to a uniform width.

My Performax sander has gotten MUCH use over the last 25 years and the only thing ever replaced were transport belts. No repairs ever necessary either. IOW, whoever told you it wouldn't last knows not of what they speak :)

Reply to
dadiOH

If you get one, you will HAVE to have a dust collector. A shop vac will work but not very well and will be a PITA.

Reply to
dadiOH

On 3/24/2018 7:56 AM, dadiOH wrote: ...

'Twas I, and 'pends largely on how one treats it...and the Performax's are pretty well built.

I've done both as well and still far prefer having the planer for roughing work; of course I've a PM Model 180 and Model 13 Rockwell/Delta, not just a benchtop so I'm used to seriously planing as opposed to just nibbling...

Reply to
dpb

So true, dat...meant to add that earlier; glad you did think to...

Reply to
dpb

On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 8:37:54 PM UTC-5,

As others have said, "It all depends on how you are going to use it." If y ou get your stock directly from the mill, or local sawyer, its a whole lot quicker to get it to the desired thickness with a planer than a sander. IF all you have left is a piece of 6/4 stock and you need a piece of 4/4, get ting rid of that half inch will take a long time one fleck at a time.

In my shop, as much as I "think" I would like to have a sander, I neither h ave room for it, nor can see a compelling need.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I have a planer and no panel sander. If I had to choose only one to have, it would be the sander.

They are a lot more expensive, though.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The planer should come first, to flatten roughsawn boards efficiently and to be sure your boards are the exact same thickness before you glue them up.

At one time I thought I wanted a horizontal drum sander, but I did not have the necessary budget, dust collection or shop space. By necessity, I learned how to improve my gluing technique to keep the boards even in the first place, and how to use my hand planes and scrapers to level the inevitable differences. I now have the budget and space for a sander, but no desire to own one. I enjoy using my skills, and prefer a planed/scraped surface to one that has been abraded. The last big panel I made was about 3' x 5', made up of five boards. It took less than an hour to bring both sides flat and parallel, ready for finish.

If you are not doing production work, and don't want to learn the manual skills, find a local shop that will run your panels through their sander. My brother-in-law had a 24" x 50" coffee table top sanded for about $15.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Thank you. Interesting you mention Performax because a place near my home sells woodworking tools and a Performax 16/32 is in their stock.

That's what prompt me to ask the question in here.

Reply to
Meanie

I do have a Jet dust collection system. Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

Most bench top planers are 13" or less so they will not get you there.

BUT a bench top planer will work much more quickly than a drum sander, and will be much less expensive comparing like brand/quality.

A drum sander will pretty much do what a planer will do with more capacity but will do so MUCH MUCH SLOWER.

If it were me I would go for the planer and add the sander later if you want to get the most bang for your buck.

Reply to
Leon

Aww, I bet you replaced the sanding belts too. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

FWIW I have both, a 15" stationary Delta planer and a 22/44 Performax drum sander.

Reply to
Leon

With a bench top planer make your rough cut length about 6" more.

Reply to
Markem

I can't afford a sander, but I am curious. Sometimes with a thickness planer, you have to shim to board to get rid of a twist. Is that a problem with a dual drum sander, or is that problem eliminated.

Reply to
Michael