Garage LEDs

It may have one (something that connects to WiFi) but I don't use it. I just use the remote that came with it. My wife uses the one built into her car. Come to think of it, she has ore problems but I thought it was because my truck is in the way (in the driveway).

Reply to
krw

I have a pair of similar configuration that light a single bay garage and like them:

Dave in SoTex

Reply to
Dave in SoTex

We've had the same issue; remote works w/o fail entering our 100+ ft. driveway from the street in either my Chevy truck or the wife's Land Rover. Garage door is an 18 ft. metal sectional panel door that is parrallel to the driveway, perpendicular to the street for what that's worth. Backing out of the garage is a different story. Never fails from my truck but is seemingly positional from the LR4. In that vehicle activating the remote as soon as you clear the door is a must; 6 or 8 more feet back and it fails more often than not. Yes, I installed 60w LED Daylight spectrum bulbs but will have to pull them to see what brand.

Dave in SoTex

Reply to
Dave in SoTex

Food for thought and this has nothing to do with lighting. About 10 years ago we moved into a new home and I installed a new Craftsman door opener. My wife's car always opened the door with no problems. Her car has the home link built in. My Tundra with the remote that came with the garage door opener was always finicky. Some times it worked, sometimes I had to walk up to the door with remote in hand to open the door. I had that issue from day one up until very early last year, so about 8 years.

The remote finally stopped working. I replaced the 8 year old battery and suddenly all of the prior 8 years of intermittent issues disappeared completely. I was shocked.

SO while the batter/remote worked inconsistently the same from new to the 8 year mark. The new battery fixed all.

Reply to
Leon

Not uncommon. ANd sometimes just removing the old battery and putting it back in works too.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I often remove and replace batteries to reestablish contact. But in this case the Chinese battery was simply crap from the beginning.

Reply to
Leon

I'm with the second post. HALF the time, the LED light interference would cause a problem. When I used the garage opener, it was like this.

Backing car out of garage, door closed, push button on wall to open garage door, lights in opener come on, walk to car, get in, back out, use remote i nside car to close door. LED interference would be a problem whenever you left the house because the LED light is on when you are trying to use the r emote!!!!

Entering garage when coming home, drive into drive way, door closed, use re mote inside car to open door, lights in opener come on, drive in, get out o f car, walk to button on wall and close garage door. No problems because y ou are using the wall button to close the door when the LED lights are on, not the remote. So LED interference can't interfere with the remote.

The lights in my garage opener stay on for 5 minutes or so. So waiting in the drive way until the lights go off automatically and then using the remo te with no LED interference is not an option.

Reply to
ritzannaseaton

But if the battery were bad in my wife's opener, she couldn't start the car, either. ;-)

Mine generally works fine. My key fobs (key and fob all in one) are getting flaky though.

Reply to
krw

Although I have a garage door opener, the LED will not be going into it. Instead it'll be going into a simple white celing socket. The current bulb is too soft to shed enough light into some areas and I don't want to bump up the wattage and increase the heat.

I've got LEDs elsewhere in the house, just not these new flip panels. Seems like a good idea to be able to adjust the panel to throw light more where it is needed or wanted. I'm just hoping it's enough light.

I forgot about the Rockler ones. I'll have to think about those too. For now I may try one of the LEDs off Amazon and, if it's not enough lumen, I can return it. I need more light and something that will run cool since the garage can get rather hot.

I'm leaning towards the 3-flip arm with the center piece. Seems like a good way to throw light downward and 360 around. We'll see. Once I just out more reviews and ratings.

Thanks for all the info, ideas, and tips.

Reply to
Casper