Anybody Need A Ladder?

"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)
https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/d/sodus-point-ladder-24-foot-frame/6902303234.html
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2:39:39 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have never seen a ladder like that before. I'm just familiar with step ladders and extension ladders. NOT a step ladder with an extension ladder in the middle!
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 3:54:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I've seen 'em, I just have no desire to use 'em.
On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 14:04:21 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Are there braces near the bottom for sideways support ? ... or do the outside ladders spay-out wide ? John T.
On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 17:46:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Doesn't matter. Nothing is rigid/tight enough to make that thing stable. No thanks. I'll pay the $65.
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 8:18:06 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Stable is all relative. They are obviously stable enough to be made/sold by a major ladder maker and carried by major tool suppliers.
https://www.grainger.com/product/4XP09
If they weren't stable, they wouldn't be readily available from well known sources. OSHA doesn't seem to have a problem with them, although this link refers to the wooden version.
Stable enough for me? Don't know, since I'd never use it in the manner shown in that listing. (Neither would OSHA, based on that link)
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/shipyard/standard/scaffold/wood_trestle.html
On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 18:06:58 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

.. wonder what a 24 footer weighs ? The 16 footer in the link weighs 156 lbs ! John T.
On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 18:06:58 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

So are Radial Arm Saws. ;-)

I was wondering what the OSHA label for that thing looked like. Looks like a Werner but I didn't look for it.
I used to have 14' and 16' double sided fiberglass step ladders. I cried when a helper drove off without tying them down. They both broke when they hit the road. I don't remember exactly what they cost, but I seem to recall the pair was around a grand nearly 15 years ago.

Step ladders are one thing and extension ladders are another but that contraption is just stupid dangerous.
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 8:33:45 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:

I bought an 8 foot 1A single sided stepladder 20+ years ago. I thought it was expensive then. Home Depot is selling my ladder for $150 today. Which does not seem too expensive. Home Depot also is selling the ladder in the post starting this thread. $385. Werner 8 ft. Fiberglass Extension Trest le Step Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-8-ft-Fiberglass-Extension-Trestle-Step-L adder-with-300-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-E7408/203134289
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 9:48:11 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

t was expensive then. Home Depot is selling my ladder for $150 today. Whi ch does not seem too expensive. Home Depot also is selling the ladder in t he post starting this thread. $385. Werner 8 ft. Fiberglass Extension Tre stle Step Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating

-Ladder-with-300-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-E7408/203134289
The Craig's List ad starting this thread says "24 foot A-frame, good condit ion." While the one I posted is 8 foot. Home Depot also has the same ladd er in 16 foot for $1169. I'm thinking the 24 foot referred to in the ad mi ght be total height and the Home Depot ladder is 16 feet to the top of the A frame and then you add in the 8 foot straight up extension part to get to the 24 feet from the ad. Maybe.
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 10:53:32 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

ke

it was expensive then. Home Depot is selling my ladder for $150 today. W hich does not seem too expensive. Home Depot also is selling the ladder in the post starting this thread. $385. Werner 8 ft. Fiberglass Extension T restle Step Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating

ep-Ladder-with-300-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-E7408/203134289

ition." While the one I posted is 8 foot. Home Depot also has the same la dder in 16 foot for $1169. I'm thinking the 24 foot referred to in the ad might be total height and the Home Depot ladder is 16 feet to the top of th e A frame and then you add in the 8 foot straight up extension part to get to the 24 feet from the ad. Maybe.
According to Werner, the 16' trestle has a "reach" of 20' and an "Approx. Overall Ladder Height (Open)" of 312" (26').
https://www.wernerco.com/us/products/ladders/step-ladders/E7400Series/E7416
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Stupid question: Is it intended that the user climb onto the highest rungs? I'm guessing those are there so that you can climb onto the sides of the base of the "regular part" of the ladder, and use those rungs for "hanging on". What is correct?
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 11:07:30 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

it was expensive then. Home Depot is selling my ladder for $150 today. W hich does not seem too expensive. Home Depot also is selling the ladder in the post starting this thread. $385. Werner 8 ft. Fiberglass Extension T restle Step Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating

ep-Ladder-with-300-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-E7408/203134289

According to OSHA Oregon, yes, it can be climbed.
https://osha.oregon.gov/OSHAPubs/3083.pdf
"Can the vertical extension section be climbed?
When approved by the manufacturer for this purpose, the extendable vertical section can be climbed. Additional measures such as installing guy lines ma y be required to ensure stability."
According to OSHA, once the vertical section extends at least 2 rungs above the trestle it is no longer a step ladder.
This doc doesn't specifically say that you can climb the vertical section, but it does at least allow you stand on the top step of the trestle portion .
https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standardinterpretations/2012-01-03
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thank you! That's quite a document on ladders you have there! I have Paul Hasluck's classic book,"The Handymans Guide", which explains how to make your own ladder. As I recall, it is advised to use greener wood for the rails than the rungs! : )
On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 12:38:45 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

Post a picture of yourself atop the 24' trestle extension ladder that you build this weekend. ;-)
On 6/4/2019 1:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A better solution for replacing light bulbs: (Amazon.com product link shortened)59690019&s=gateway&sprefix=light+bul%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 7:17:32 PM UTC-4, Just Wondering wrote:

That tool is only good for a very limited number of bulb styles and *only* for those bulb styles. A ladder has so many more uses - assuming you're not afraid to climb it. ;-)
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2:39:39 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Don't need it anymore."
Neither does anyone else. Let the homeowners change their own bulbs or fans.
Rent or buy some scaffolds (with wheels), it's cheaper, as a last resort.
Sonny