Rat trap recommendations

A family of rats seems to have inhabited an area on our cotoniaster covered rockery. Tried the chilli smelling substance and the sonic repellent but with to no avail.

At this stage I'm not after human capture, but prefer to avoid unnecessary suffering and don't want other critters getting in (squirells excepted) and I think I'd rather not have poison unless recommendations are otherwise.

Was about to order

but none of their stores seems to have stock.

There are some electric ones on Amazon or the simpler:

Any views/experiences/recommendations?

Reply to
AnthonyL

I have one of these:

but it has never caught anything.

These, on the other hand, have caught several mice and one rat.

Colin Bignell

Live trapping requires a legal means of disposal (kindly don't release next to the nearest farm).

There was a prosecution a few years back of someone drowning a captured Rat or maybe a Squirrel.

Farm/horsiculture suppliers may be better than online outlets.

If not checked daily, the *breakback* type avoids starving a trapped animal. Tunnel types (you could use a bit of 4" pipe) avoid interference from Foxes/domestic pets.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I assume that releasing them on my own land, a long way from the house, is legal.

Twice daily is recommended for live traps, more often, if possible.

the *breakback* type avoids starving a trapped

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I use a Fenn Mark 4 Spring Traps inside a squirrel cage trap kills them almost instantly bait with Hazel nuts or raspberry and blackberrys

--

Reply to
Mark

Allotment neighbor had live-trapped mice and released them a long way off. One day he was painting, the live-trapped mouse had its tail hanging out of the trap, so he painted the tail.

He found the painted mouse in the trap again the next day: he had been trapping and releasing the same mouse.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Reply to
alan_m

A minimum of half a mile is recommended, to stop that happening. I have to drive for about ten minutes to get to where I release them and it is on the other side of a river, so not much chance of them finding their way back.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

What are you going to do with the live rats once you have caught them? Rehome them in the local park so that they can go and play on the childrens slides and climbing frame? Throw them over the the fence so that you neighbour can enjoy their company?

Reply to
alan_m

Why are they there in particular. They tend to move in near a food source. You should be able to track the rat runs and then try to eradicate the source, since whatever you do, rats will move in repeatedly if there is food nearby. Holes need to be substantially blocked and the source of food removed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It seems that "I'm not after human capture" has been misinterpreted.

I want dead. Gone for ever. Black bin bags in the general rubbish.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I think what you probably meant to say was _humane_, not _human_...

Reply to
S Viemeister

Absolutely Not in My Backyard

Makes more sense to kill the buggers.

Reply to
Rod Speed

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org>, AnthonyL snipped-for-privacy@please.invalid writes

Best plan. Lots of natural food about in the Autumn so bait successes would be interesting. Currently I have Field Mice nibbling Beetroot globes and Sweetcorn cobs. I don't mind sharing but they have no concept of economy and nibble a fresh one each day:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A bit too far for me to drive anyway.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

May be legal but its a bit pointless.

Rats expand to fill the food supply.

Get a terrier, or an air rifle.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stamp on their f****ng heads, of course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well said that man!

.22 air rifle pellet to the head will absolutely get them. As will any decent terrier.

I shot a damned bunny in my flower bed from this window, and left it overnight. In the morning only a skeleton was left.

Pity cos they aint bad stewed.

I seem to have a tame hare living there now.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno where all the mice have gone this year. usually they manage to get in the house and start nibbling, but so far none.

Just another flipping jackdaw fell down the chimney

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher