Nylon gear adhesive

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?

it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Reply to
Fletcher

Maybe 3M DP8005, but it's not cheap, and the dual tube syringe is meant to be used with a dedicated applicator

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hi,

I bought a 3D printed replacement gear for my Boston electric pencil sharpener for around $10 on e-bay. Now there are several vendors, and a couple of variations, so you could search e-bay for:

"Boston pencil sharpener gear" and find several choices.

Regards, Tim

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Hi,

I bought a 3D printed replacement gear for my Boston electric pencil sharpener for around $10 on e-bay. Now there are several vendors, and a couple of variations, so you could search e-bay for:

"Boston pencil sharpener gear" and find several choices.

Regards, Tim

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Is this what you need ?

or

Anonymous

No adhesive will work well for that type of break but cyanoacrylates are supposed to work on nylon.

How does an online pencil sharpener work? Put the pencil into the wifi?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This does not answer your question, but may be the best approach:

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Sometime around Thu, 7 Nov 2019 08:57:26 -0500, Tim Schwartz snipped-for-privacy@bristolnj.com wrote.....

It probably will not work but I'll try to glue it just once. If that fails, I'll junk it for parts.

To replace the gear I first called Newell Office Company under Exacto in Statesville NC 800-879-4868 but they no longer support the Boston Model 18 Electric Pencil Sharpener 296A so they won't sell a replacement gear.

I assumed it's nylon where it must be a really bad design given that it breaks a lot in the same spot on the net

so if an expoxy or cyanacrylate doesn't work I probably should choose a more reliable brand than this crummy Boston brand.

Like you said there are 3D replacements online I could buy. There's even a "tinkercad" model file

I don't have a 3D printer to print it

Someone suggest a better brand they like that's better than crummy Boston?

Reply to
Fletcher

Ten years ago, I had to bond a wire spool to a plastic tub. Both the spool and tub were soft plastics, nylon and polypropylene, respectively. I used this:

For three years, in temperatures from 15- 90 F, the bond held fine and allowed me to wind and unwind wire around the spool. Then, one night, it came apart after I had bumped the assembly against the door heading outdoors. However, for the cost, I felt that the plastic bonder did the job. You can find it just about anywhere, home improvement stores and such. Good luck.

Reply to
TheExperimenter

An excellent idea. Probaby will last for 30 years.

We had one where the handle cyclinder fell off, but my mother kept the cylinder and the rivet and I pounded the rivet down a bit and it jst about good as new. I still have it somewhere but I use a knife to sharpen pencils.

Ours didn't even suck in the pencil. You had to push it in. Worked just fine.

Reply to
micky

Sometime around Thu, 07 Nov 2019 16:20:46 -0500, micky snipped-for-privacy@rushpost.com wrote.....

Thanks to all for the advice for fixing broken plastic gears. Broke with cyanacrylate & decided to give up on the epoxy. Paid $30 at Staples to replace the crappy Boston with Bostich.

ideas for inventive re-use of the old Boston worm gear & transformer?

Reply to
Fletcher

Do you know what model your Boston sharpener is? You might try E-Bay. I see various replacement gear prices ranging from $7 to $21.

I also see someone selling a "parts only" model 17 that needs a new gear!

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Sometime around Sun, 10 Nov 2019 22:42:59 -0500, Fred McKenzie snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote.....

It's a Boston Model 18 Electric Pencil Sharpener 296A/ I've never bought nor sold anything on Ebay. I generally disassemble broken devices & keep what's re-usable. Nothing much seems re-usable except the power cord though (and I have a box full of those already).

Reply to
Fletcher